Crabbing at Charleston.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yesterday was a beauty of a day to be out on the water down by Charleston.
Put the boat in about 10:30 AM and had the traps in the water shortly afterward.
Looked as if it was gonna be a slow day as we only had less than one limit to split after the first two pulls.
but as the current slowed and the tide was shifting the big male started moving around and our third pull for the day put the count at 30 legal size males.
After culling 6 of the smaller crabs we had our two limits of very nice crab.
Fishing was a bit slow but that's to be expected I suppose when fishing in the mid day bright sunlight.
Hardly any wind to speak of.
Almost as soon I dropped my jig at our first fishing stop, I was on with what I suspect was a good sized ling. It started running and I never turned it once before it cut through my 20 Lb line. Unexpected surprises are always welcome even when they get away.
But a little later I did boat a Black rock fish he went 3 Lbs. and my partner boated one about 2 lbs. missed a number of short strikes so overall it wasn't a uninteresting bit of fishing between pot pulls.

Reactions: 4labs and Admin
Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
I'm taking my rod next time too! My pal and I noticed more than a few guys fishing between pulls. Always good to bring home a mixed bag! Glad to hear you boated your limits!

• Haha
Reactions: plumbertom
G
Gulfstream
The water is very clear .Not good for fishing with the sun out in shallow water .I would suggest that you step up to 30lb.

Reactions: Bob Budesa and plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
Gulfstream said:
The water is very clear .Not good for fishing with the sun out in shallow water .I would suggest that you step up to 30lb.
Yeah, I just might do that.
I've been avoiding it because I'll also need to step the lead head I use with my Gulp ripple soft baits to keep the action near the same.
Or I could try properly adjusting my drag. LOL.
But I keep the drag tighter than I normally would because of the need to quickly boat fish to keep them from being stolen by the freeloading sea lions that seem to follow my boat around.

Reactions: Bob Budesa
plumbertom
plumbertom
Bob Budesa said:
I'm taking my rod next time too! My pal and I noticed more than a few guys fishing between pulls. Always good to bring home a mixed bag! Glad to hear you boated your limits!
I never go out on the water without my rod.
Even when I crab the Siuslaw where the fishing is very poor inside the jetties, unless you get out near the ends where most times the waves keep my small boat further up stream, I still try. It gives me something to do between pulls and you can never be sure but what you might get a nice surprise.

G
Gulfstream
Damn Sea Lions.I have not had a problem with them in the bay ,and I use fish and squid for crab bait. A wrist rocket with marbles are a great cure for the ones that follow you. Maybe your boat smells good to them....:D:giggle:

4labs
4labs
Gave it a try on black Friday. Looked like salmon season out there.
Launched at Jordon Cove. No docks. Last time for me.
Started across from Empire in 20ft. Nothing but dinks and reds. One trap loaded with reds.
Gave up and headed south past clam island. More reds.
Dropped a net in that channel near shore south of clam island and full of under size ones and more reds.
So a bust for me caught one nice copper near the double reds across from Charleston. Stopped at Reedsport at 300pm and 2 boats crabbing looked like they were throwing a lot back. Next time salmon harbor almost no one but I couldn't believe all the sand dunes folks parked here.
Some serious cash in those rigs.
Whip the channel was flat.

plumbertom
plumbertom
My only comment is that we got ours in shallower water, our best pots came in 15' or there about.
Deeper water seemed to fill the trap with shorts and females.
Also our best for the day came just after the tide change before the current got to ripping.

4labs
4labs
I think with all the traps out I should have gone closer to main channel straight across from Charleston. I have never seen so many traps laid out . One group had 4 boats and a party on shore with 4 or 5 pots boiling crab plus ATV's and UTV's and at least 3 or 4 trucks. Wish I had friends like that
Florence or Reedsport next

G
Gulfstream
Bummer Mark.That ramp is pretty lousy

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I know crabbing was slow but sure starting to pick up now.

Reactions: plumbertom and Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
Went out Sunday & Monday (1/26-27). 16 nice crabs between two guys, but for that time should have had 48. Hard rain, which is no problem, but the wind was constantly hammering. We were one of only two boats out. Poor timing. Wish I knew how to gauge my trips from Jacksonville better. Maybe Coast Guard office can help. After driving 3 hours, I'm not turning around and heading back!

Any reports from Bandon, or other harbors? Would be interested to know if one is doing poorly, are they all?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Bob Budesa said:
Went out Sunday & Monday (1/26-27). 16 nice crabs between two guys, but for that time should have had 48. Hard rain, which is no problem, but the wind was constantly hammering. We were one of only two boats out. Poor timing. Wish I knew how to gauge my trips from Jacksonville better. Maybe Coast Guard office can help. After driving 3 hours, I'm not turning around and heading back!

Any reports from Bandon, or other harbors? Would be interested to know if one is doing poorly, are they all?
I use this to choose my days.
https://tides4fishing.com/us/oregon/charlestonI only drive half the distance you do But I want a enjoyable experiance when I do.

Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
I have a feeling that rain has more to do with it than anything. Fresh water flowing into the estuary following or during a big rain event will alter the salt content, and probably keep crabs from coming in. Would be interesting to hear from others as to whether or not they caught good numbers following or during a large rain event.

Thanks Tom

Reactions: jamisonace
plumbertom
plumbertom
Although I have little expertise on the subject experience has shown that your assessment is likely correct.

Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
Thanks amigo!

Next time, eh?