crabbing and whats this... clams

F
fishtales
Had a great day with the family today. Brought home a limit of clams and 6 or 7 keeper crab. Did not have plans of clamming but decided to anyways. The kidos where not so fond of the crabs but thought the cockles where pretty. Anyways all in all it was a good day. Now i'm just trying to figure out what to make for dinner. :cool: I'm the only sea food lover so I better start eating.

Ended up using a silver tail and some and misc scraps from it as bait. Also use some freezer burnt, bad, and discolored king and rainbow (<----i think) from Alaska. Did not mind doing that. It had been sitting in the freezer for ever and needed to go badly.

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
Nice work- It looks good

F
fishtales
Thanks EJ. It was. Had a hell of a time when it came to cleaning. The time spent at the sink seemed endless. Wife and kid cracked the crab at the table with some music. A bit burnt out today.

F
fishtales
Most of them are about the same size. This one was larger so I took picture. Wife is trying to convince me to take her bother tomorrow. :rolleyes:

T
the_intimidator03
looks to be a big cockle given its not a kids hand, sounds like you had a great time.

F
fishtales
Yeah thanks. We had to look them up on the spot since we did not know if we could keep them or not. Once we identified the type of clam:clap: it was game on.

V
viento
I think you add a bunch of baking soda to their water, and by the time you get home,
they've mostly cleaned themselves. Can someone verify this? It was posted at a cleaning
station in a small park, but 'twas too many years ago to be certain...
Cheers

Try simmering the clam meat, and make mashed potatoes. As they cook, chop some chives, or mince
some garlic, add to melted butter, with cayenne or any favorite seasoning

Stir the clam meat into some of the potatoes, and dip spoonfuls of it into the melted butter sauce.
Now I am too hungry to sleep, and too tired to cook. And too far away to dig.
Just give me a rope...

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
viento said:
I think you add a bunch of baking soda to their water, and by the time you get home,
they've mostly cleaned themselves. Can someone verify this?
I worked in restaurants and we always added some "corn meal" to their water and kept then in the fridge overnight.
They must be allergic to the corn meal and sneeze the sand out of them. LOL!
Serious about the corn meal.

T
the_intimidator03
I added corn meal to the water i keep them in. they filter it in and the sand gets displaced.

F
fishtales
about how much corn corn meal for a 5 gal bucket about 3/4 full of water and clams. Cups,tsps?

V
viento
'Mayor Anatolly' hmmn, has a nice ring to it, want to job in Portland? We need clear thinkers, and people who understand fish!
Adams, not so much.

Admin
Admin
viento said:
want to job in Portland?

Thanks, but I have an allergy for this thing :lol:

F
fishtales
Portland is a great and close enough to the coast that I am able to keep doing this.

I will try the corn meal next outing. I ended up using a butter knife to pry the cockles open. I read that dipping them in boiling water also works (done this a bunch with razors). Does this approach cook the clam partially? Kinda makes me think that all the extra work I put in with the butter knife gave me a better quality clam to eat.

I was tempted to try the mash potatoes...

Sorry about the food allergy :(

Last edited:
Admin
Admin
fishtales said:
Sorry about the food allergy :(

Me? Sorry for my English, I tried to make a joke that I don't need a job because I don't like to work (have an allergy for this thing). :D

F
fishtales
My interpreting skills are not what they use to be. lol Anyhow allergies are allergies still sorry.;)

I don’t know what I would do without work. My wife tells me I need to take a break sometimes but I just keep going. It doesn’t matter if I’m at the office or at home its work work work… I’m just not one to sit around and do nothing.

Admin
Admin
fishtales said:
My wife tells me I need to take a break sometimes but I just keep going.

My ex wife told me exactly the same words. Then she changed her mind and decided to take a break from me. ;)

F
fishtales
I think I was a member though some of that. Sorry your circumstance. Being that our situation is a bit similar I’ll need to think more about what she is telling me, tell more jokes, and try to enjoy life outside of work a little more. :cool: