Crab Pots

J
JeepGirl05
So I realize this isn't exactly "fishing" BUT.. For Christmas, I was to buy a couple really nice crab pots for my boyfriend. I need some suggestions on what would be a good purchase? I am looking for something of great quality at a decent price. I am thinking that $100-$150 is a "decent" price for a good quality one; am I right?

Also, any suggestions on where I should make my purchase?

AND is there a certain "brand" that is better than others?

I don't know much about anything when it comes to this, and I don't want to inquire in my boyfriend, since I want it to be a surprise!

Thanks for your help!
;)

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Nice of you to think of us, and using this site for what is was originally designed for....asking questions. I am sure one of our members will be more than happy to lend you a hand and hook you up with exactly what you need. You have a very lucky boy friend...:dance: :clap: :cool:

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
If you are looking for crab pots in the 100-150 dollar range, the small scale commercial boats I used to work on used a brand by the name of Blue Ocean Tackle...I think. Pretty sure. Anyhoo, these pots are meant to be run in a traditional drag pattern, or a bunch of 'em dropped at some pre-determined interval, in a straight line. Traditional commercial Dungey & Tanner crabbing. If you are just looking to get a trap or two to toss off of a jetty or similar, I would hit up your local Fishermans, Joes, or Sportsmans and go cheaper than your 100-150 per, and get a few for 100 bucks. What exactly is his/your intended usage for the pots... Boat or bank?

J
JeepGirl05
ArcticAmoeba said:
What exactly is his/your intended usage for the pots... Boat or bank?

He just bought a new fishing boat, and he has been talking a lot about wanting to gets some crab pots. But when we went to Joes, I saw what I thought were some good looking pots for about $40ish and I said "hey theres your crab pots you wanted" and he said "No those are the cheap ones"... So from there on out I was confused. :D

F
FishSchooler
You could look up on how to make them and tell him: It was priceless. :lol:

J
JeepGirl05
Great stockin stuffer I suppose :dance: ? lol

Now on a more serious note....:D

A
ArcticAmoeba
Well, at least he is into acquiring better quality gear for his boat...If I were him and I were serious about getting some crab, I would probably want at least 4 decent pots. It is an investment, but maybe get him one for Christmas, and that will get him started. You can still fish with one just fine, but if you want volume, the more the merrier. A site that my dads friend started, Go2Marine.com sells decent equipment from Trilogy Marine, and McKay Shrimp & Crab. The Trilogy pots are super nice for basic recreational boat hunting, and the McKay's I have never used, but they are a bit cheaper, but I know people who swear by McKay...He wouldn't stock crappy gear anyway, so you should find good info there. The Trils are about 120, and the octagon McKays are in the neighborhood of 80 bucks. Both really nice set-ups. If he ever got serious into crabbing, I can, and do fab. custom traps, and pots for recreational and commercial crabbers alike...Just some food for thought, but check out some stuff on the net, you should find the right gear I'm sure.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I used to use semi cheep crab traps and was always fixing the darn thing. Then one nice day my wife told me to go ahead and get the good pots. What a difference. I bought them in Warrenton, Or at a place where they manufacture them. Can't for the life of me remember what the name of the place is. But I would recommend checking our Englunds Marine Supply in Astoria or Newport. They also have a web site and sell to both commercial guys and sports guys. Good luck I'm sure he will appreciate quiallity pots. ;) Irishrover

Last edited: