Crab cakes

D
diggindan
After looking through dozens of recipes I decided to create my own simple recipe that is fairly healthy and easy. Hardest part is cleaning the crab.

12 oz. cleaned and shredded crab meat
1 bunch green onions chopped fine
3-4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
1-2 jalopeno pepper chopped fine
2 teaspn chili powder
2 teaspn cumin
2 teaspn kosher salt
12 ritz crackers smashed
1 large egg

Combine all but the egg in a big enough bowl that you have room to mix well.
Mix it up, add the egg and mix again.
Roll into golf ball size balls, put in a container large enough that they don't touch and pop into freezer.
After frozen they can be stored in ziplocks.
I bake the frozen cakes at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
If you want to cook right away 30 minutes in the freezer makes them easier to handle. They are kind of delicate during and after cooking, but set up a bit once they cool.
Enjoy, Dan

F
fishtales
Thank you for the recipe. 4 lbs of crab meat will make a large handfull of crab cakes. Also when vaccume sealing crab meat I found that freezing it for a bit first helps. This way there is less moisture to suck out. I hope it turns out good when I defrost.

D
diggindan
I get 15 to 16 cakes with the above recipe so 4 lbs. of meat will make a bunch.
I had to increase the cooking time when I did a full sheet at Thanksgiving.They should be lightly browned and dry. We had a big crew for turkey day and got rave reviews on the crab cakes.
I freeze shelled meat in 10-16 oz. portions in small ziplocks and it holds up very well. We also froze cooked halves wrapped in plastic then freezer paper. I thawed some and shelled it this week. Tastes fresh after 6 weeks. Using it in a stirfry tonight.
I'm going to heat some frozen halves in the oven next week and see how they turn out.
Cooking is almost as much fun as catching. Much warmer:D
Cheers, Dan

J
joesnuffy
do you think adding a second egg would help them stay together a little bit better?

D
diggindan
joesnuffy said:
do you think adding a second egg would help them stay together a little bit better?
I'm sure it would along with more breading. I'm all about the crab flavor and texture. They came out really good for me ,just have to be kinda careful. It ain't flippin burgers.:D

T
Throbbit _Shane
when i used to make them at a resturant you had to get the right texture with the bread crumbs. I remeber butterflying prawns and putting crab cakes on top, boy was that good.

D
diggindan
Throbbit _Shane said:
when i used to make them at a resturant you had to get the right texture with the bread crumbs. I remeber butterflying prawns and putting crab cakes on top, boy was that good.

Probly deep fried too! Makes my mouth water thinkin about it! My wife is determined to keep me healthy tho, so no frying for this old boy.:(
Cheers, Dan

C
Cowboykid8
MMMMM deep fried prawns and crab cakes? *drool* Do you think this recipe would work with fish too?

T
Throbbit _Shane
diggindan said:
Probly deep fried too! Makes my mouth water thinkin about it! My wife is determined to keep me healthy tho, so no frying for this old boy.:(
Cheers, Dan

Yep deep fried. They were great! And expensive too. You only got 3-5 and the price was outrageous. No wonder that place went out of business lol.

Cowboykid8 said:
MMMMM deep fried prawns and crab cakes? *drool* Do you think this recipe would work with fish too?

i dont see why not. if u try let us know! i havent had any deep fried seafood in awhile. im gettin hungry!

D
diggindan
My wife and I are now marketing a smoked pepper blend that I use in my crab cakes. Same recipe, awesome flavor with just enough heat. It is also great with fish however you prepare it.

P.S. Substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon Hell Dust for Jalepenos in the recipe.

Cheers, Dan

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Hell Dust! I might have to try me some :D

S
spearfishinglog
thanks for sharing. il try it.