Coyotes in North West Oregon?

G
GDBrown
Are there any areas that have seen increases in coyotes up here this year?

I talked to the ranger up in the Wallowas last week and he was saying the wolves have thinned out the coyotes and so the birds are doing much better even with the bad spring we had. I'm thinking of trying a little coyote calling after deer season just for fun. Anyone else do any of that?

GD

B
BobbiDollPDX
I see them on Barbur Blvd in SW Portland once in awhile.

S
Swamp Puppy
They were going off outside my bedroom the other night.

D
dangerranger
Personally I have hunted coyotes out in the trask area ouside of carlton... Lots of them in and around sherwood and newberg. Not really any public land out there but if you could get landowner permission.... I have also seen them out towards hebo lake when fishing...

M
Markcanby
If you can find a spot here Canby has a huge amount of yotes

G
GDBrown
I have seen a couple out by Lost Lake OFF Spruce Run Park in the clear cuts. Are electronic callers legal in Oregon?

B
beaverfan
I've seen two in the last three weeks OFF hwy. 6 on the way to tillamook.

G
Growbug
GDBrown said:
I'm thinking of trying a little coyote calling after deer season just for fun. Anyone else do any of that?
GD
If it involved my 22-250 then hell yeah!!

S
slimyguts
dangerranger said:
Personally I have hunted coyotes out in the trask area ouside of carlton... Lots of them in and around sherwood and newberg. Not really any public land out there but if you could get landowner permission.... I have also seen them out towards hebo lake when fishing...

What? There is TONS of land to hunt outside of Yamhill and McMinnville. I get yotes runnin through my front yard at night chasin after my ducks. So far, the ducks have been faster!

M
Markcanby
GDBrown said:
I have seen a couple out by Lost Lake OFF Spruce Run Park in the clear cuts. Are electronic callers legal in Oregon?

Yes they are. Also If you get a hawk kite an put it on a stick over the caller it helps a lot

D
dangerranger
slimyguts said:
What? There is TONS of land to hunt outside of Yamhill and McMinnville. I get yotes runnin through my front yard at night chasin after my ducks. So far, the ducks have been faster!

sorry... I ment not lots around sherwood/newberg....

S
strawberry shortcake
They are all over Umatilla County to Wallowa County. Saw one tonight just above Westen in the straw field. I hear them every night up on Wood's Hill and Cemetary Hill (just North of Lostine). The wolves haven't gotten into the valleys yet so there are still plenty.

G
GDBrown
Markcanby said:
Yes they are. Also If you get a hawk kite an put it on a stick over the caller it helps a lot

Does the hawk kite make the coyotes think the hawk is eating fresh kill? If you have a photo of said Hawk Kite I would like to see it.

GD

G
GDBrown
Shortcake,
I didn't hear the coyotes but I sure heard the elk where I was. I saw several coyote on the Promise road to Troy but was not expecting them so did not have rifle ready. It would have been hard to explain to game warden since it was Bow season!
GD