Coyotes!!! .22 or .17hmr?

S
STIKTIME
So i have some family members that have some property and they were talking about some yotes running around. I really want to get into some coyote hunting, but I'm not to sure which gun to buy? Ive been looking around and doing some research and I really like all of the savage models. I have a savage 30-06 and like the way it shoots all around. What does everyone use for coyotes? I know that the .17 shoots farther but the .22 packs a little more punch? Also, I'm not looking to spend more than 300. Thanks and any pointers are appreciated in advance!!!!!!

G
Growbug
.17HMR always vs .22 unless its 22-250 then that would be the winner (with .223 very close second)

.17HMR will leave a pinprick going in and a baseball hole coming out, if it hits bone, it will cause shrapnel to bounce around inside the body cavity. Aim for the ribs for this.
the 17 is more a dustrat cartridge

22-250 - perfect for 'yotes, and this chambering wins marksmanship contests all over the place.

M
Markcanby
17hmr does not have any penetration so I would not recommend it. 223 is by far the best choice for small caliber rounds on targets under 50lbs. 22-250 are great but have a short barrel life if you shoot hot rounds. As for the savage I realy like what they have done over the last few years. Very accurate rifle for the price. Just a FYI there is no reason you can't use your 06 for yotes. Its shoots flat enough out to 300yrds with the right ammo.

F
fishkiller
I've shot a few with my 06, it may be overkill. I'd worry about the 17 not being enough and the yote running off somewhere to die. 165 gr. partitions do the trick.

H
halibuthitman
220 swift or mabe 22 hornet.. the question is do you want a hide.. or a very consistent kill... out of the two you suggest I would use the 17 with a head shot for hide hunting.. if you want to kill without prejudice I would go with a 243, 270, or a 308. I believe accelerator ammo is available still in .o6... and would do fine for managment purposes.. for sport hunting long term your gonna need to spend some money, range finder, bi-pod, scope, and lots-o-camo!

S
skunk
I agree with the others, 17 hmr is a bit weak. I have one, tack driver but not much power. Beautiful shooting gun, fun and all but more for the little guys ie, rabbits, rats, squirrel etc. I vote 22-250, 223 or shottie!!!

G
Growbug
to add to previous statements.

22-250 is more expensive to shoot than .223

I believe 223 has a little less accuracy, but longer barrel life

Savage - I am overall VERY impressed. I own a few Savage rifles (including a 1944 Enfield) my .17hmr and 22-250 savages are fantastic for accuracy. I shoot cheaper ammo, like Rem UMC and Hornady VMax but wow.. impressive groupings. I have the Accutrigger on the later rifles, but none of the new bedding. You can do your own bedding at home real easy!!

----

edit

another bonus for Savage is that they make TRUE left handed rifles.

M
metalmania
I'd just use your 06, unless you wan't a reason to buy a new rifle then i'd go .223.

A
Amberjack
You did not mention yardage. How far are you planning to shoot? A CCI 22 hollow point at 40 yds, good shot placement (head) will do the trick. But me I would either go with a 223, 243, 270, or 06 and insure a quick kill. I like shooting yotes with a Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 mag with a scope.

C
capblack
i would go with the 223 for long range varmint hunting, i would reccomend the new england (h and r ) 223 varminter. its got a heavy barrell, and a laminated stock, i put a 12- something rangefinding scope and a harris bipod on mine, and still only had around $300 invested if i remember right, and the ammo is cheap. Brian

S
STIKTIME
Thank you to all that replied!!!! I'm sure that most of you can agree when I say that a man can't have to many guns!!! Also, it was a great year in Fantasy Football, so I've got some extra cabbage to burn!!! I'm looking at long range shooting. The property that i will be hunting is quite open and flat. I've got all kinds of camo and I do have an extra scope so I'm looking to just purchase the rifle. I would love to hunt coyotes for a long time so a rifle that will last would be nice. I'm looking to just do some management on the property because he does have some nice deer running around!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

S
skunk
I also use a game cam on my property. Just clicked a yote last week, so now I'll use some other tricks to lure them in. Got a new pop up one man blind that I'm itching to try.

O
osmosis
The Savage model 10 precision carbine is an excellent shooting rifle in .223.
Here's a 5 shot group at 100 yds with it, under 1/2 moa.
Running a 55gr nosler spitzer over 25.5gr of Varget, Rem cases CCI primers.

summerpics387.jpg

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
M1-Garand will get rid of them. Plus nothing left to clean up. Or an M-14. :)

S
SantiamDrifter
Am I the only one to recommend a m107 50 cal.? Its a semi auto allowing fast target acquisition so you can re engage your targets. 10 rounds in under 10 seconds!

S
skunk
SantiamDrifter said:
Am I the only one to recommend a m107 50 cal.? Its a semi auto allowing fast target acquisition so you can re engage your targets. 10 rounds in under 10 seconds!

That would work, but I'm betting most of us shoot on a budget!!!

C
capblack
SantiamDrifter said:

:rolleyes:

J
juggernaut506
Most any rifle you may already have will be fine for a coyote. I've shot them with my .22's, .17 HMR, AR-10, .300 Win Mag, even my bow. I've considered buying a .22-250 just for shooting coyotes but decided that I can buy an awful lot of ammo for my AR-10 or .300 for the price of the new rifle.

H
halibuthitman
SantiamDrifter said:
This is exactly why I cut up my membership card to the NRA-

J
juggernaut506
The .50 BMG is the only caliber that has never been used in a crime in America.