Rivers Coyote Creek Fishing Reports

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Fished the creek below Fern ridge lake today about 3pm-7pm

Launched at the "coyote creek kayak and canoe launch" but I would not recommend it. There is a 4' washed out bank that is all clay and slime. I would launch from 126 next time

I guess there used to be some stairs? Or a dock?

Both fish came off a jig! First time I've thrown one in Oregon

Best fish was 4lbs 1oz, other was maybe 2

Both real healthy

Had 2 others fishing but they were both skunked.

20200524_165349.jpg 20200524_190937.jpg 20200524_190945.jpg 20200524_171022.jpg 20200524_182055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fred
troutdude
troutdude
Nice fish. You've been killin' it lately!

Took me a while to figure out where you are though. As the creeks "below" Fern Ridge, would technically be on the north side of the dam. Close to where the Long Tom flows out.

But then I honed in on your Hwy. 126 reference; and the last pic of the bridge. I have always wondered about those backwaters. They've always looked fishing to me.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
troutdude said:
Nice fish. You've been killin' it lately!

Took me a while to figure out where you are though. As the creeks below Fern Ridge, would technically be on the north side of the dam. Close to where the Long Tom flows out. But then I honed in on your Hwy. 126 reference. I have always wondered about those backwaters.
My bad, I'm used to referencing above/below as north/south and forget that all the waters here flow a certain direction!

troutdude
troutdude
NKlamerus said:
My bad, I'm used to referencing above/below as north/south and forget that all the waters here flow a certain direction!

No biggie. It wasn't an unsolvable mystery. ;-)

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Good work. I fished that stretch via the bank twice in the past month and came up empty handed. Tried Texas and Carolina rigs and even rooster-tail spinners and crappie jigs. Not even a single bite. That spot you mentioned would be a tough one to launch from.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
maxwyatt said:
Good work. I fished that stretch via the bank twice in the past month and came up empty handed. Tried Texas and Carolina rigs and even rooster-tail spinners and crappie jigs. Not even a single bite. That spot you mentioned would be a tough one to launch from.
It was a tough bite for sure but I'm definitely excited to go back already

Few bites but at least they were bigger!

I'm very glad I wasn't launching solo, that bank is a wreck, nice to see everyone that came through got a hand from other paddlers when needed

The clay is so slick it's tough to get in and out of the kayak, let alone slide it around

There was a couple people throwing bobbers with worms for crappie and they were skunked too, I've always had better luck with moving baits for crappie

Have you ever fished the stretch from the launch, further south? Cantrell to Crow Rd?

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
As far as I can tell, there isn't any public bank access south of Cantrell rd so I haven't tried it.

Top Bottom