Cows and calves

Fishtales2

Does anyone have angus calves for sale or have a suggestion on where to look for one locally? I'm looking for a heifer as well to further breed. I am trying to go into farm deferral and the kids will be using the calf for 4H as well.

Aervax

Most Featured
Angus are a popular breed among the dry wheat farmers in North Central Oregon -Wasco, Sherman and Morrow counties. They run them on the fields they fallow during alternating years. If you can't find anything closer to home you might poke around over that direction. They all have children in 4h, so you might find some sympathy pricing with a little luck.

TheKnigit

I am not really sure where local is for you, but you might be able to go down to your local grange, Co-op, or feed store and and see if there is anything posted up there. I know that ours in Roseburg always seems to have a couple of postings stuck up on a billboard. They also tend to have an info book for any livestock auction in the area.

Alan

I have raised cattle most my life and beef cattle has became a marketing scheme, google "Certified Angus Beef". What you look for in most grocery store meat shelves. Because of this Black Angus prices have Sky rocketed in recent years. Just go with a black, beef type steer or heifer and build from there, lots of education needed. To qualify for CAB, Certified Angus Beef" which you see all over in the stores........ the animal only needs to be 51% black and a beef type animal, not Angus at all. A purebred quality RED Angus does not go to market simply because of its color, only because it carries the wrong color gene. Sorry off my soap box, it's just a marketing scam, but a very successful one. Go with a black beef type bovine and educate yourself on phenotype and muscle development on you bovine animals. Good luck! 4H developes great adults!

Stumpy

Yes.
Where are you or how far do you want to drive?
Do you want a calf now (leppie), or when it is weaned?
Are you after a purebred or commercial calf?
If not after a private deal, have you considered your nearest sale yard?

Alan

Also just an FYI, if you have little or no experience with halter training calves a 300+ calf can be a real hand full for a while when halter training.

Fishtales2

I should have mentioned I live outside of Newberg. We use to live in the city for years and recently moved outside city limits I will defiantly keep looking around at the feed stores and bill boards and talk to neighbors. Right now I think we are shooting for sometime in July to make the purchase. My father in law use to AI cows on a ranch in Eastern Oregon for many years and talks often about the perfect combination Simmentals and another breed maybe angus. For the most part we stay pretty local to the Newberg, McMinnville, Amity area but will travel to pick up if needed. Most of what we have looked at so far are leppies and would like to make a private deal if possible. We have yet to cross the bridge with haltering calves but we do have a 3 year old mare that we have raised from the ground up which has had its challenges. Thanks for helping us look.

Fishtales2

Also just an FYI, if you have little or no experience with halter training calves a 300+ calf can be a real hand full for a while when halter training.
When is a good age to start halter training? Right now we are up to our ears in milk bottles. our new calf was born on the 28th of June and is just settling in to her new home.

Alan

Asap, a 50 to 100lb animal is much easier to handle than a 400lb animal. Try not to scare it, make it a none threatening ordeal. Start by just putting on the halter than get him/her use to being tied, using a slip knot. Google "butt rope" when you try to lead at first, lots of daily repetition. This is a great board but you will get a lot more cattle info the the message board at cattletoday.com. Lots of long time good folks but it has it share of jerks also...... good luck!

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom