Court ruling in Sandy River hatchery debaucle

J
JeannaJigs
It's a small step, it won't keep the Native Fish Society from pursuing their agenda to annihilate all things missing an adipose, but, it's a nice small victory for those of us that aren't of that narrow view that have love in our hearts for the murder of those missing an adipose. Will be interesting to see what comes of the McKenzie...

Irishrover
Irishrover
I saw that and was happy. The Sandy just could not survive as a fish producing river in the middle of this metropolitain area. Now the John Day seems to be doing well as a non hatchery river. It's a lot longer river and the chinook are making a come back there and the steelhead are doing good too. But that river is not in the middle of 2 million people. That makes it easier to run as a non hatchery river. I think it takes some balance and the Sandy just isn't a the river to go non hatchery neither is the McKenzie or any other river close to a large population of folks.

F
FishFinger
So what if... they only fin clip say... 75% of the smolts. These fish would return as high finners and would solve the whole native vs hatchery argument.

Without specific genetic DNA testing who would really know. OK OK so these "quasi" nates may wind up in the hatchery if released in CC, unless the smolts get released in say... The Salmon river.

Just sayin', what government agency doesn't enjoy a good shell game?

M
mikeee2362
I read the article, and I'm glad to hear the hatchery program will continue, seeing all the fish I've caught in the Sandy(all 3, lol) have been Hatchery fish. I'm looking forward to fishing for Salmon in the Sandy and hope to fish there for years to come as it is what I'm calling my "home" river.
I wish I knew more about how the non-native genes affects the natives because it seems be the brunt of the argument, and I always thought diversity made for a stronger population.... guess I'll read up on all this before making any more comments.

H
halibuthitman
this is what a dink native looks like.. Miss clippers dont look anything like an unpolluted native- just sayin

F
FishFinger
HHH did you pluck that gem out of river with a hatchery program?

H
halibuthitman
Nope, and it has never had a program

H
halibuthitman
this is what a miss clipped hatchery fish looks like- high jack over. Im very happy for the sandy clan of fishermen, its probably not the best river to try a re-hab on-

M
mikeee2362
halibuthitman said:
this is what a dink native looks like.. Miss clippers dont look anything like an unpolluted native- just sayin

Nice...a dink with shoulders!

W
waco
There is plenty of nice looking fin clipped fish on the Wilson river!!

M
mikeee2362
waco said:

I'm thinking about looking for some...want to go? Oops hi-jack over.

F
FishFinger
HHH what do you think would be a fair trade off? Say the river where the native was caught be closed to or have a highly restricted retention and where the frankenfish was caught, be open to wholesale stocking for fun and profit?

O
OnTheDrop
waco said:

Out of 30-40 fish hooked on the Wilson this week we had 70% Nates!

M
mikeee2362
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Out of 30-40 fish hooked on the Wilson this week we had 70% Nates!

What part were you fishing?

O
OnTheDrop
Side drifting the lower river.

F
freedrifter
only been doing this chase for forty years , i mean really aren't they all just salmon or steelhead as the only way to actually tell a native or a hatchery fish would be by collecting a DNA sample ? really it is a no brainer !