Willamette trips out of Newberg and out of West Linn

bass
bass
I hit the Willamette out of Newberg on August 15. I had a bit of a topwater bite to start the day. I had to downsize to a Heddon Baby Torpedo to get that going - I did not get any hits on Sammy or a Choppo. After the brief topwater flurry the rest of the day belonged to soft plastic. Most of the fish came on a Ned rig, some on a dropshot and some on a swim jig with a creature trailer. I have started throwing the swim jig + creature more to try to increase the quality of the fish that I catch. That seems to work somewhat. My best fish did come on the swim jig and I don't seem to hook nearly as many dinks. I ended up with 41 bass with the biggest being a 2lb 1oz smallmouth.

Most all of the fish came from deeper rock (10'-25). A good sonar goes a long way to effectively finding and fishing those structures.

I hit the Willamette out of West Linn on August 21. There was cloud cover most of the day and the topwater bite was really good all day long. I started with a Sammy but after a few half-hearted strikes I switched to a Choppo and that seemed to be like switching from a tofu burger to a ribeye. The fish were smashing the Choppo all day long. I did spend some time throwing other lures, going back over productive spots with a Ned rig, drop shot, swim jig+creature, swimbait and spinnerbait. They all caught fish (just one of those wonderful days) but they seemed to hit the Choppo the best. Plus, I am not going to pass up a topwater bite!

I put in a long 10 hour day but I ended up with 68 bass. The big was only 2lb 0oz but it was still a blast. The river was crazy busy with fisherman. Lots of bass boats and lots of kayaks fishing for bass. I am not sure how most other folks did. I had most all of my success out on the mid-river humps and it seemed like most folks were beating the bank. I guess there were fish there as well but it was nice to really have all the water I wanted to fish to myself on such a busy day.

Funny thing is that I did not see much topwater activity (other than the fish eating my Choppo) all day long. I kept thinking that the topwater bite has to die soo but those fish were just nuts all day long. Usually when I am having a good topwater day I see lots of surface activity but I guess this showed that is not necessary.

I have to say again that having the really great maps built up on my Garmin (made through Quickdraw) is incredibly helpful. Those maps coupled with a heading sensor, good 2D and SIdevu make for a deadly screen setup. It is easy to find those mid-river humps and to position myself exactly where I want to be on them once I figure out how the fish are setup. Most of the fish were in 5'-10' of water but I did catch some deeper as well. To be fair there may have been a ton of fish deeper as well but I am not going to seek out deepwater fish when I am having an awesome topwater day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fromthelogo, Markk and Admin
B
Bassnoob
Thanks for sharing, both days sound perfect im soooooo jealous. Your setup looks awesome youve got it figured out!!!! I spent the last weekend exploring Albany and Corvallis areas blindly instead of fishing, not really sure what im doing figured id just get out there. Without doing much homework I ended up kind of overwhelmed and at a loss, nothing to show except a bunch of scrapes and cuts. It seems most access to what my rookie eyes see as a "good spot" is on private land which I respect and do not trespass. Hopefully this weekend I can find a solid lake/pond spot and get familiar with the gear and solid bass fishing in.

bass
bass
Shore fishing opportunities are definitely tough to come by. That was my main motivation for getting a kayak in the first place. I hope you have good luck finding some spots. I believe I saw a YouTube video of folks catching smallies at Hyak Park boat ramp between Corvallis and Albany. Maybe check that out.