Could you update as of July 2010?

S
spark
Hello Folks,

I have the plan to go South Beach this weekend, and look for the lake for fishing. I think Big Creek Reservoirs 1 & 2 is the nearest lake from the beach. Could you give me some information which bait/where is your suggestion?:rolleyes:

Thank you,:lol:
Sparky.

L
les_robot
We are also planning a vacation, in a week or so, to the same general area.. Any news on any bank fishing Bass opportunities in either of these lakes..??

Thanks,

Les

troutdude
troutdude
Hi Guys, and welcome to OFF.

I fish Big Creek 2 exclusively (the upper and larger and LESS weedy one). Stocking was completed several weeks ago for 'bows. But, there still may be some left. There are also yellow perch in the upper Res. Not sure about perch in the lower res.

If you can troll the upper res, use a brass Little Cleo spoon. Also try pink & red wedding rings and worm, or a green & black wedding ring / worm. If still fishing, use chartreuse Power Eggs and about 3' of leader "off" the bottom. Green, orange, pink, and white power eggs also work.

There are bass in the lower res, probably mostly in the upper end in the cover of the lily pads. A buddy caught some in there a few years ago, but I don't recall what got 'em to bite.

I haven't been there since March, however, so can't give you a current report. Maybe someone else can chime in.

P.S. Olalla Reservoir, is the next closet lake that I am aware of. Only about 5 minutes east of Newport and then about 5 minutes north of Toledo. Look for the Olalla Golf course sign, and follow that road up.

troutdude
troutdude
Hey, some good news. I just made an appointment with a client on the coast for tomorrow (Tuesday 7/13). On my return trip, I will stop at Big Creek 2 (upper) and see how the trout fishing is. I may bank it, or I just might take my float tube.

I'll post a report mid week for you. And I'll try to find out if the bass fishing is any good now too.

troutdude
troutdude
Here's the scoop:

I went to Big Creek 2 (upper) and fished from 5:30 to 7:30 last night. Tried at the ramp first for an hour or so, with NO luck. Was using 2 rods, one w/ slip bobber and bait at various depths. Other rod was w/ slip sinker "off" the bottom. Tried various colors of Power Eggs and Gulp! Roe Clusters and even a Gulp! night crawler. NOTHING.

So I moved over to the east side of the water outtake gizmo. Nothing for a 1/2 hour. Switched up bottom rig to Chartreuse Power Eggs. BAM! Two trout in a row. One 10" and one 12". Then, that was it. Four other lines in the water...NO FISH for any of them.

Only heard of one other fish for the whole day. Maybe upper part of the dam is better. But a lady at the Community Swimming Pool said fishing has been lousy lately.

So my advice is to head directly to Olalla Reservoir, and walk around to the dike on the back side. Don't even bother going to Big Creek.

P.S. Gave my fish to two young fellers...mostly because they were the most polite kids that I have encountered recently! They even asked if they could fish "next" to me...but, they were a good 30 yards away so they weren't even remotely encroaching on me at all!