Fishing line and lbs for salmon and steelhead?

S
spark
I'd like to find some info about fishing line leader, brand, lbs, length, etc for salmon and steelhead depending water color. Could you recommend for me?

1. Season
2. Water color
2. Leader strength(#pound test)
3. Leader length
4. Leader color
5. Steelhead or Salmon

Fishing line and lbs for salmon and steelhead

S
steelheadstalker31
For most of my steelhead fishing I use Fireline invisibraid 10lb as my main line and trylene professional florocarbon for leader material in 6lb or 8lb. I primarily float fish as it is one of the best ways to catch steelhead. I use about a 2ft leader. If you are a drift fisherman, I would still recommend braid, but maybe one of the new sinking braids would be better for that application.

Y
youngbuck307
Ok so for me I hate braid and floro just because if it rubs on a rock ur done normaly. For winter in normal winter water I'll run 12-10 max ug for my float and drift fishing. Then as water drops and clearls I'll go down to 10-8 then 8-6 if it gets really low and clear like it had last 2 years. Summers I run 8-6 sometimes 6-4 sounds crazy I know but got to hook them in order to land them! Then fall nooks will run braid on my rods normaly 50lb with 20 or 25 max ug. Springers normaly
I run like 20-15 or 15-12 max ug and coho will go with what I run for
winters... Ps nooks don't seem to mind that thick ass line
at all but coho and steel are really picky

F
fish_4_all
I use 12# Maxima Crystal Ivory year round in all conditions for all of them. A "buddy" of mine uses yellow line for both main and leader and catches just as many as I do.
this year, 27,30 and 34# nook without a single break off unless it went under or around something.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I have had really good luck with abrasion resistance with braid and flouro. :D I have video of a fish stuck to a bolder on the end of my line, rubbing and rolling, (braid-flouro) for six minutes before it finally came of the rock and I landed it! ;) Had a upper teen steelhead hooked last year and it wrapped me around a rock and I pulled and pulled trying to get it off for five minutes before having to break him off! The line would not break no matter how much it rubbed on that boulder. Its all preference I think as both mono and braid are great lines.

F
fish_4_all
I do like braid for float fishing summer runs but I still use 12# leader. I only use the braid because the Remington I have casts a mile.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would not use any braid above 15lb for steelhead. It will cast a lot better and most 15 lb braid breaks well above 20 lbs! Casting 50 lb is like trying to cast rope.

H
halibuthitman
amen... no 50lb please... cause when you lose 30' of it... and you will, cause it happens to most people, the next 20 guys fishing 8-12 lb mono are gonna donate some gear into the mess you left, and when it costs a guy a fish, its a bummer!

S
spark
Thank you so much ALL!!!

Well, I wonder if it is OK for me to use Maxima 20lbs (green) mono leader and braid 20lbs main line (lime green) for Winter steelhead and salmon in drift fishing.

As steelheadstalkers said, 50lbs sounds like throwing a rope on the water. LOL ;-)

F
fish_4_all
I don't see why not but I think it is overkill.

H
halibuthitman
20# on 20# + drift fishing= Broken rod

A
autofisher
Yeah..... what HHM said.... it's going to depend on the line rating of your rod. For most applications I'll run 12lb main and an 8lb leader and it'll do just fine fighting some decent fish. Make sure your knots are solid and you'll be surprised how well the line reacts to the tension. Sometimes when the water is really really low, I'll use a 6lb leader...... If I'm fishin close to the ocean.... I bump it up to at least 15lb main.

S
spark
halibuthitman said:
20# on 20# + drift fishing= Broken rod

Yeah, that's what I heard of. If I use more than 20lb for leader, it would break a rod or main line. Then what do think I need to use for leader for 20lbs main line for drift fishing and spinner?

H
halibuthitman
Spark I mostly fish with spoons or a flyrod, but I have never run a so called main line on anything but a sturgeon or halibut rod.. I run 10lb floro in november-Jan on most rivers bump up to 12 for feb except in the spring on the nehalem I run strait 15lb, I also fish all my salmon with 15# floro... and use my drag properly.

F
fish_4_all
20# mono leader with 20# braid will break the leader before the main. Always fish at, or better yet, under your poles rating for leader.

D
Damon79
I ALWAYS run 12# P-Line high visibility main line for steelhead fishing. It is very easy to see if you depend on seeing your line while drift fishing, like I do.. You can tell a lot about what is going on under water by what your line is doing. I use a 10# Maxima Ultra Green leader material, length varies by water color and flow. I never pin a corkie like a lot of people do and catch a lot of fish. I run a bait casting reel and run the drag fairly loose so I can have total control over the pressure I am putting on a fish. I have NEVER had a fish break my main line, and have pulled my boat off anchor several times trying to break it off when I am hung up. It is all about putting in time and finding what works for you and what you like. I personally dont think there is a need to ever use 20# line for steelhead fishing. For salmon fishing I use 50# Power Pro and a 40# Maxima Ultra Green leader. What ever you are doing with braided line, I highly recommend using a good mono shock absorber. Meaning never run braided line strait to your hook, any sudden shock will break it. Hope you get lots of good help from the comments here, every one has good lessons to teach if you just ask for help.. Good luck out there.. Tight lines.