Could you give me some suggestions for salmon fishing?

S
spark
Hello,

My family will stay at Seaside this weekend with friend's family.
Wonder where I can go trout/steelhead/salmon fishing with jig/bobber?
Could you give me some ideas? I've never fished at Seaside.

Thank you.
Spark.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm no expert on the rivers or bays in that area. But, I'd say that you'll be there far too early for Salmon or steelhead or for Blue Backs (sea run cutts). Salmon and/ or Blue Back fishing won't start up until August or so. And steelhead are well after that.

You're best bet may be to target trout in the Necanicum or Nehalem (main stem). But, I'll defer to others for more information. And do check the regs...some parts of the Nehalem are Artificial Lures and Flies only.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm no expert on the rivers or bays in that area. But, I'd say that you'll be there far too early for Salmon or steelhead or for Blue Backs (sea run cutts). Salmon and/ or Blue Back fishing won't start up until August or so. And steelhead are well after that.

You're best bet may be to target trout in the Necanicum or Nehalem (main stem). But, I'll defer to others for more information. And do check the regs...some parts of the Nehalem are Artificial Lures and Flies only.

Sorry (again) for the double post. Something is buggy w/ my computer!

H
halibuthitman
troutdude said:

I believe you meant to say sockeye when you said blueback? I will tell you where I would go.. in seaside go to lewis and clark road,turn right and then immediately left, the road jogs and is confusing... it continues up and into the clear cuts behind seaside, continue on up and over the hill, around 3 miles I guess, watch on your right for a long pull out, there should be cars parked there since it is a popular bike riding location pull in and to your right you should see a gate on a paved road. Put 4 red bulls and at least a pack of marb reds in your pack.. dress light. walk until you come to a left that is another road and turn and head down it ( you can continue on up the paved road but there will be no fish up there) keep walking long after you feel you have been walking down hill for too long.. then walk some more. you will come to a land where people speak a strange language.. and keep walking until they speak another. You will come to a bridge that crosses a modest river.. this is the Lewis&Clark drop down into the river and fish down stream for about 2 miles but DO NOT GO PAST THE END OF THE CLEAR CUT you need to use the clear cut to climb back up to the road and private dirt is all below it. Fish #5 chartruse vibrex spinners or Blaze and silver spoons, if the waters super low and clear use a #4 black vibrex The nooks in there also respond very well to white. Make sure you bave a pair of hand pruners on you.. you will need them. this loop takes about 6-7 hours and all 4 red bulls. Post a picture of a lewis and clarke fish and then I will tell you of some spots you can drive a car right up to.. good fishing-

Last edited:
R
R&M Boatsaleslady
spark said:
Hello,

My family will stay at Seaside this weekend with friend's family.
Wonder where I can go trout/steelhead/salmon fishing with jig/bobber?
Could you give me some ideas? I've never fished at Seaside.

Thank you.
Spark.
Call uncle Randy He is in Newport but fishes all over. He owns Harry's Bait N Tackle! 541-265-2407. I grew up in or near Lincoln city Area I know where to fish there....

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
I believe you meant to say sockeye when you said blueback?

Nope. Bluebacks are what we call sea run cutts, in the Alsea area.

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
troutdude said:
Nope. Bluebacks are what we call sea run cutts, in the Alsea area.
Alsea is what river I lived on and blue backs are blue tinged no spots on tail and freakles dotted accross the boddy nice and red MEAT! ") though I belive the city folk call em sockeye they have their own ways to talk up here I am all messed up and my boss has resorted to saying I come from a back ass poedunk town! LOL but you know he didn't even know what a bunger was when I said I would kick him in the bunger, city boys!!! LOL....