Could use some egg advice

H
Herefishyfishy
Heading out to the Wilson tomorrow mainly for chinook and from what I've seen and everything I've heard about coastal rivers people use big gobs of eggs. The people I saw myself were using eggs they had cured themselves from fish they had caught. Since I don't have that I was hoping for some advice on what to buy. Should I buy the boraxed or just the regular cured? Is there any other kind? Any tips would be truly appreciated. Also what size hooks are guys using out there when float fishing with eggs like this?

M
Mike123
Really IMO the only GOOD eggs are ones you CATCH and cure yourself.
Amerman's makes a decent egg for chinook.. I've caught a lot of fish on them. I've only gotten one bad batch and Scott and Grant both were very good at keeping the customer happy by giving me another free jar of eggs.
I've heard good things about Sunrise.. but have never used them to know for sure.

For Fall chinook I'd use non-boraxed eggs personally.. but use an upriver cure that isn't a heavy milking cure.

H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm hoping tomorrow will get me going on my own fresh eggs. I bought a jar of D&G at fishermans after talking to them about it, I'm on a very limited time frame for gearing up today. I will be keeping an eye out for Amermans in the future.

L
livin2fish
Herefishyfishy said:
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm hoping tomorrow will get me going on my own fresh eggs. I bought a jar of D&G at fishermans after talking to them about it, I'm on a very limited time frame for gearing up today. I will be keeping an eye out for Amermans in the future.
mike is right your own are always the best "like anything else" but the d&g's should work fine. I have personly used boraxed eggs for years with great success & non boraxed as well. I truley think it is a matter of personal preferance and more importantly being there when the fish are actualy onthe bite.there are bite enticers that you will have to play with that can really increase your odds and sodium sulfite is one of them and it is in a number of cures and scent blockers now so play around a bit and don't be afraid to read labels. fishon.

M
Mike123
IMO DandG eggs are worthless... I'd rather fish a glob of yarn with Salmon Feast scent on it.

G
GDBrown
If you are going to the Wilson you can usually get eggs from Tillmook Bait Co. in Tillamook of coase. Look them up on the internet. I think they are on Wilson Rvr Loop Rd not too far from Hwy 101. If they have eggs in the small glass jars get them not the ones in the plastic tubs. They are not always available but the are good, a little expensive but worth the money compared to the other stuff. Always remember if they are not fresh cured they are no good. I freeze mine after each use and have caught fish up to a year after the cure date. Like others have said curing your own is the best way to go, but if you don't have some you go get some right!

Good Luck

GD

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
are bait sacks as effective as just the glob of eggs on the hook

G
GDBrown
Bait sacks.

Bait sacks.

You have to use bait sacks when the cure doesn't work or the bait is so cheap it won't stay on the egg loop. Yes they do work and I know guys who always use them and some who never use them. That's fishing what floats one mans boat sinks someone elses.:rolleyes:

H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks for all the input guys, I love this site. I bought the D&Gs in the quart jar, $22! It's all they had at fishermans, I will stop at Tillamook bait co. and check that out. I'm curious about the sodium sulfate that livin2fish mentioned, it just so happens the lab at my work has pure ss powder. Here's my thought based on all the advice from this site, the fishermans guy, and a friend, please let me know if this sounds stupid(I am a rookie) put a fresh shrimp tail on a 4/0 hook, wrap it with my crappy D&G eggs and sprinkle some ss on it....??? Is there a degree program for fishing somewhere? = )

M
metalmania
Herefishyfishy said:
Thanks for all the input guys, I love this site. I bought the D&Gs in the quart jar, $22! It's all they had at fishermans, I will stop at Tillamook bait co. and check that out. I'm curious about the sodium sulfate that livin2fish mentioned, it just so happens the lab at my work has pure ss powder. Here's my thought based on all the advice from this site, the fishermans guy, and a friend, please let me know if this sounds stupid(I am a rookie) put a fresh shrimp tail on a 4/0 hook, wrap it with my crappy D&G eggs and sprinkle some ss on it....??? Is there a degree program for fishing somewhere? = )

I've sprinkled ss on eggs before and had good sucess with coho. Just don't put on to much or let them sit to long with it on them. It doesn't work as well as curing them with the ss in the cure, but it will do in a pinch.

I
Ideceivefish
I was at the Wilson today and didn't see one fish caught. It's VERY slow.

Last edited: