Cougar fishing tips

T
travis_lightner
I will be going down to cougar the end of june for fishing and tubing. I would like to know some hot spots and some different kinds of tackle to use.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
if you are fly fishing try to get to the river above cougar anywhere you can.

N
nwkiller
yeah, hit the river inlet, ive caught tons of nice fish right where the river crashes in to the lake, not sure how high it will be but i caught a lot of fish on thomas's but becareful of the bull trout you migth catch (happens a lot) make sure you release it as quick as you can

T
travis_lightner
I have tried fly fishing once and liked it but i will be bringing my boat. rod and reel.

T
travis_lightner
thanks i will realese the bulls.

T
travis_lightner
Does anyone know how high the lake is? i would like to camp at sunnyside but if i can't get my boat there then i will be going to slide.

Troutski
Troutski
USACE site

USACE site

Try this site...perfect for judging our res. on this side of the Mountains.
http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/Reports/synopsis.txt

The north east wall in between Slide Creek and Walker Creek is very deep and has quite a bit of structure...very productive for deep trolling.
Tight lines

Chuck

T
travis_lightner
Thanks so much for the responses . Family and I camped at slide creek group camp by the boat launch last fourth of july 09 group camp nice and clean ! Year before we camped at sunny side. The river was much higher in 08 and would be able to get a small ski boat back there. my brother and i fished a little with no luck. In prineville res. and ochocoo res and other central oregon lakes i have had pretty good luck. just wondering some local tips for catch and release i dont eat much fish. and what the usual types of fish are caught at cougar and what type of bait or/and tackle.

T
travis_lightner
anyway you would send me a copy of your map???