Cottage Grove Lake

S
specreck
Does anyone know if there is boat access this time of year. I see that they are going to stock here this week with 4500 trout and I would like to give the winter bass a shot.

Troutski
Troutski
All year ramp..

All year ramp..

specreck said:
Does anyone know if there is boat access this time of year. I see that they are going to stock here this week with 4500 trout and I would like to give the winter bass a shot.

Yes, the ramp is open all year long. That being said, it is a very shallow ramp and one would need waders to launch and retrieve the craft on the ramp. Bass,Trout,Crappie, and of course hold over Trout. Good luck and watch the shallow spots on the lake...trust me, they are every where. Good luck.

Chuck

J
joeyota
I haven't been out to Cottage Grove lake for at least 3 weeks. Last time I launched it was a bear, I don't have waders. When the lake is all the way down there is about 2ft of water for the first 30ft off the shore. It is not very deep at all this time of year gets shallow quick at the upper end.

With that said it mite not be all the way down anymore. I was at Dorena on Saturday and it is on the rise. That lake would be impossible to launch a boat with any size rite now. If you have been there you would see, there is a lower parking lot and on sat it was at the top of that parking lot. So the water is only 6-10 inches deep till you clear the parking lot. It will be fine if the water level raises or lowers a foot or two. I say this cause every one should know and cottage grove lake should be on the rise to they usually stay about the same.

Good luck Joe

S
specreck
where do they stock?

where do they stock?

I'm headed to cottage grove to troll from trout, any ideas where they stock at?

Troutski
Troutski
Dorena...

Dorena...

specreck said:
I'm headed to cottage grove to troll from trout, any ideas where they stock at?

If I were you I would try Dorena first...providing the ramp is not at the lower parking lot. Better chance of catching fish, at least that is my opinion..

Chuck

S
specreck
Yep should have taken your advice, cottage grove = no fish. We didn't stay for long I mostly wanted to get my boat in the water since I dissembled my lower unit to change my water pump mechanism because my engine wasn't peeing like it should. After changing it and getting into the water it still wasn't working...after all that headache. So i called my cousin in Louisiana and he told me that it was prob. just a clogged hose and to take it down and flush it out. Sure enough I had about 4 inches of sand that prob came with me from north carolina that clogged the hose. So at least now I have a new impeller and gasket in the water pump housing even though I didn't need it.....but everything works now!!

T
TTFishon
specreck said:
Yep should have taken your advice, cottage grove = no fish. We didn't stay for long I mostly wanted to get my boat in the water since I dissembled my lower unit to change my water pump mechanism because my engine wasn't peeing like it should. After changing it and getting into the water it still wasn't working...after all that headache. So i called my cousin in Louisiana and he told me that it was prob. just a clogged hose and to take it down and flush it out. Sure enough I had about 4 inches of sand that prob came with me from north carolina that clogged the hose. So at least now I have a new impeller and gasket in the water pump housing even though I didn't need it.....but everything works now!!

What did you happen to do with that sand?

G
GrillMaster
Dorena lake

Dorena lake

I use to fish that lake in the early spring, the Bass are starting to wake up and the Trout are on the feed. The mouth of most of the creeks will produce Trout and the rocks near the dam and along the Baker Bay side working your way towards the dam will produce some Large Mouth. a lot depends on the water temp and presentation of your bait, with cold water comes slooow retrive.
If you can find the channels with a fish finder, anchor on the shallow part of the arm and cast into the deep section and leave a night crawler on the bottom - Bullheads hang in there.

GM

J
joeyota
I was at Cottage Grove lake today. Typical day on the water for me went up into the channel and angcord. Was fishing on the bottom and the whole time I was there I was watching the people on the bank catching realy nice trout. So me in my boat not evan a bite, the people on the bank that apperd to be using worms catching fish. Next time I will just park at Wilson creek and fish off the bank. Another note the lake is still brown and full of debree.

Good luck, Joe

T
TTFishon
joeyota said:
I was at Cottage Grove lake today. Typical day on the water for me went up into the channel and angcord. Was fishing on the bottom and the whole time I was there I was watching the people on the bank catching realy nice trout. So me in my boat not evan a bite, the people on the bank that apperd to be using worms catching fish. Next time I will just park at Wilson creek and fish off the bank. Another note the lake is still brown and full of debree.

Good luck, Joe

Thanks for the report Joe. I'm taking a couple of friends, who just started fishing, there on Saturday. I hope I can get them into some. They've never caught fish before so it should be pretty fun.

J
joeyota
Go up in the channel by Wilson creek, they are catching some nice ones. My buddy was there on the bank today said there was 14 other people there fishing. So I would avoid the crowd and hit it around sunrise.

Good luck Joe

T
TTFishon
joeyota said:
Go up in the channel by Wilson creek, they are catching some nice ones. My buddy was there on the bank today said there was 14 other people there fishing. So I would avoid the crowd and hit it around sunrise.

Good luck Joe

Thanks for the tip.

G
grampa ron
Cottage grove Lake

Cottage grove Lake

We fished it yesterday. I caught the biggest Bullhead I have ever seen, on a fly. As far as know, from talking to other fisherman, no trout were caught. The water was 53 and still off color.

T
TTFishon
I went last weekend and two bites on a worm and that was it. How big was the bullhead?

G
grampa ron
Cottage grove Lake Bullhead

Cottage grove Lake Bullhead

It was at least 2 lbs.

T
TTFishon
That's a good sized bullhead alright. On a fly to boot.

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
4-19-09 Trolling at Cottage Grove Resevoir

4-19-09 Trolling at Cottage Grove Resevoir

Troutski said:
Yes, the ramp is open all year long. That being said, it is a very shallow ramp and one would need waders to launch and retrieve the craft on the ramp. Bass,Trout,Crappie, and of course hold over Trout. Good luck and watch the shallow spots on the lake...trust me, they are every where. Good luck.

Chuck

Yep, you're right! To retreve the boat Bob had to wade into the water...in his jeans and tennis shoes!! He said that he'd wear shorts and boat-shoes next time! See picture!

Otherwise, the day was very nice. Great weather! Very sunny. Must have been between 77 and 80 degrees. The water was 57 degrees. Also, had a lot of debris large and small. We had to operate the boat with care to avoid the debris.

We trolled with the Blue Fox Vibrax, cast and plunked with Powerbait....no fish. ...yet. :confused:

Here are some pictures of both boat ramps: both were odd in that you cannot handle your boat from the ramp. The west side was so shallow looking we decided to launch from the East side. Launching went fine...but the retreval. Oh brother! What were they thinking when they built that? :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Troutski
Troutski
Nice to get out...

Nice to get out...

LadyoftheLake said:
Yep, you're right! To retreve the boat Bob had to wade into the water...in his jeans and tennis shoes!! He said that he'd wear shorts and boat-shoes next time! See picture!

Otherwise, the day was very nice. Great weather! Very sunny. Must have been between 77 and 80 degrees. The water was 57 degrees. Also, had a lot of debris large and small. We had to operate the boat with care to avoid the debris.

We trolled with the Blue Fox Vibrax, cast and plunked with Powerbait....no fish. ...yet. :confused:

Here are some pictures of both boat ramps: both were odd in that you cannot handle your boat from the ramp. The west side was so shallow looking we decided to launch from the East side. Launching went fine...but the retreval. Oh brother! What were they thinking when they built that? :naughty:

Good that you got out on the water...still no Trout huh... You must not be holding your mouth right. I'll see if I can find a picture of the perfect face for catching fish and post it for you, at least this way you will have a nice Trout Dinner;)

Chuck

T
TTFishon
LadyoftheLake said:

I think you guys should try Carmen Diversion Res. They stocked it today and it's a beautiful deep lake. I think you'd have a really good chance at getting into some fish. I think it would be worth the drive for you guys.