Costco pontoon boats good/bad?

H
Hook
Was thinking about getting a costco pontoon i think they go for around $350 or so. Wondering about quality and if another company makes a better boat for around the same price?

Bass Man
Bass Man
Hey Hook,

FYI only...Bucketman009 has a pontoon for sell for $100 in the classified ads section, not sure if your wanted new or would be open for a used pontoon and save some cash. Just a thought..have a great day.

Reactions: Troutski
G
Grace2u
Just thought I would let you know I just bought a pontoon from BI-MART..they have a 8ft and a 9ft I bought the 9ft Osprey..I havent used it yet..I am planning to this comming weekend I have a nice 12ft aluminum..but this will be better for me..when I am by myself..hopefullly..they have them ..the 9ft ..on sale for 239.00..i think the 8ft is 189.00.

H
Hook
Thanks Bass Man, but i have gotten nothing back from BM.

Grace2u thanks for the info on BI MART, i will check those out also.

D
donjduck2
pontoon

pontoon

I bought the 8' Osprey pontoon from Bi Mart a couple yars back and love it.I've floasted so of the slower umpqua,taken it up to Diamond Lake several times and have had no complaints,so far its done everything I've asked it to.
I just wished I had more time to take it out and do some fishing more often and people to fish with since my buddies and i rarely get days off together to go fishing.

M
mgdguy
Hook said:
Thanks Bass Man, but i have gotten nothing back from BM.

Grace2u thanks for the info on BI MART, i will check those out also.

FYI I inquired with him within the 1st hour and he told me it was already sold... :think:

H
Hook
Thanks mgdguy!

F
fishndad
Grace2u said:
Just thought I would let you know I just bought a pontoon from BI-MART..they have a 8ft and a 9ft I bought the 9ft Osprey..I havent used it yet..I am planning to this comming weekend I have a nice 12ft aluminum..but this will be better for me..when I am by myself..hopefullly..they have them ..the 9ft ..on sale for 239.00..i think the 8ft is 189.00.

yeah bi mart has a great deal on them and they are dependable

H
Hook
List of brands

List of brands

Could someone give me a list of brands of pontoons and what ones to stay away from.
Thanks

G
Grace2u
Update..update

Update..update

Hook..I did a lot of readin and studing up on these things before I bought mine,and from what I can tell , like everything else it depends on what you are going to do with it, Many say stay away from thoes that are made in China...but if you did that you would probably be staying home a lot...nothing wrong with being built in China as long and it is built well. who cares if the chinese build it or the USA builds it if your plans call for heavy duty parts and a well designed product. Sure its good to help the good ole USA..but still here again if you pay a little more and the manufacture designs a inferrior product what good is that.

I have notice that there are many nice pontoons on line from repable dealers. If you are just going to fish the lakes in Oregon heck, I dont know why one wouldnt want to buy the 8 ft at bi-mart for 189.00. Because my way of thinking is start out small and see if you like it, if not then throw it up on craigs list at the start of the season and sell it for 150.00 and you will only lose 30.00 , it would be better than gettin one for, say, 600.00 that is bigger and then finding out it is bigger than you need and then selling it for, lets say 200.00 less to get rid of it and taking it in the shorts.
I talked to the fella up in OC b-imart and he told me it was a very big seller and as of then there were no returns, I just recently seen a fella that had one in the back of his pick up at a safeway store and he was running the clackamas with his and has been to wikkiup and crainprarie. I just bought the 9ft an tried it this evening at Harriet and it was a blast, they say the longer the better they are for stability reasons for rivers and if you want a stand up platform .
The nicest one I have seen around here is out at Sportsman warehouse the have a very nice 8 ft that is red and grey that has a custom pole holder and a very nice rear sturdy built bracket for a trolling motor it was built for them by one of the well known Pontoon boat makers i think it is "CLEAR CREEK" I am not sure, but it sells for 499.00.

So there are some nice ones that come up on Craigs list also. If you go look at one HOOK you can tell how well built they are if you spend some time looking,I just drilled a hole through my frame for a homemade rod holder and it was a very tough steel frame , mine is the bi-marts OSPREY.

Now to add to this , for you that are experts on Pontoons I have noticed, if you want to run the rivers a lot expecially in the summer time when the water is low, I would think one would want to get a Pontoon that the strapbuckles would be mounted higher on the pontoon tube , and not down low like many are mainly for the reason low water in summer time exposes sharp rocks and thus you could smack a lower mounted stapbuckle and damage it, I dont know if any of you river runners have seen this happen, but there are manufactures that have the strap buckles mounted higher...look at Cabela's -- Search Simple Product in the search funtion in the upper right corner type in PONTOON BOAT find the FISHCAT model and look at the "fishcat design" and you will see what I mean. The MADISON RIVER model also does it along with a few others.
you might want to try this sight if you just want to shop all night.pontoon boat

UPDATE...UPDATE...My pontoon Just SOLD!

Last edited:
S
specialk0082
i have a bimart brand osprey pontoon ive took it in lakes and ponds thinking about puting it in the river around here should be fine better than a raft, but what ive been tryen to find out is how to mount a trolling motor on my pontoon theres one thing i dnt like about the osprey is that he back cargo daeck has straps that mount the deck how do i make it more depndble any body has any ideas?????????????

M
mjeepp83
go to oregonfishing.com. They have the back motor mount housing.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Graphite Zen and I both have 10' Fish Cats. I got mine used for $450 last year and have only had it out on lakes so far but he takes his out on some pretty crazy water. Mine was branded for Wholesale Sports and you can buy that size there new for about $650. They have smaller models for less money. I would keep watching Craigslist though.