Cortland Line-Leader Loop connections.

T
the_intimidator03
Have any of yall use these? They slide on the end of the line and seal with heat shrink?

I am having mixed thoughts on it at the moment. I had one on my flyline until I lost the fight with the tree. It survived battles with several 20"+ trout so I have seen they can hold up. Well I replaced the loop, and go to set the hook on a stocker trout....bink it popped off :-| The only thing I did differently I was able to use a soldering iron to heat the heat-shrink, the first time, 2nd time I used a small candle. (which was a pain) so I believe the flame may have been an issue.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have thought of super glue but I dont want to have it attack the fly line.:rolleyes:

O
OnTheFly
Heat guns work nice but sometimes the place you bought the loop from can install it for you.

T
the_intimidator03
only thing I got is a butane torch with soldering tip... just hope it doesn't get too hot.

O
OnTheFly
Harbor Freight's got a 1500 watt heat gun on sale for $8.99. Dual temperature 572*/1112*

T
the_intimidator03
ill have to swing in there when I get my check. stuck at home until then due to that weird liquid called gasoline. it kind of goes missing

Y
Yohan
You can also throw a couple nail knots on there to hold the loop on the line. I use some mono (usually 10lb maxima ultragreen) to secure the loop to the line (I don't even use the heat shrink seal) and had some big fish put it to the test with no problems. I slide the line in the "chinese finger cuffs" as far as I can and then put a nail knot towards the end of the line and one back towards the end of the "chinese finger cuffs".

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly said:
Harbor Freight's got a 1500 watt heat gun on sale for $8.99. Dual temperature 572*/1112*

I hope it's electric and not one of those gas fired models!;)

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
I hope it's electric and not one of those gas fired models!;)
Briggs and Stratton all the way!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I'd stick with using a candle or lighter to shrink the heat shrink. The heat gun doesn't have a precise-enough heating area - you could wind up melting your fly line.

You could also ditch the braided loop connection - knot on a straight, heavy piece of mono, and use that for your loop to loop.

I've given up on loop to loop connections personally - I use the Castwell Knot (aka Weaver's Bend or Weaver's Hitch) to connect a looped leader to the fly line. Never had it come undone, and I don't change leaders so often that it is ever an issue having the leader permanently connected.

T
the_intimidator03
now the nail knot idea aint a bad idea... ill tinker with it perhaps tonight or tomorrow to see what i can come up with. right now im waiting on paint to dry

O
OnTheFly
GungasUncle said:
I'd stick with using a candle or lighter to shrink the heat shrink. The heat gun doesn't have a precise-enough heating area - you could wind up melting your fly line.
We use a heat gun for shrink wrap all the time over wire splices. Most guns come with interchangable tips that can direct heat to smaller delicate areas and it's a more uniform heat than a candle.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
This is true - but the Chicago Electric ones that Harbor Freight sells don't come with any sort of muzzle devices - I have bought two of 'em (I use them for heating/forming kydex sheet material). If you had a cone to direct the heat - it'd probably be fine - but I wouldn't trust my heat guns, as they come, anywhere near my fly lines.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
ETA - I wouldn't buy a heat gun just for this use either - unless I was adding loops to a LOT of fly lines - since the heat guns run about $30 a pop.

G
GDBrown
I use a BIC lighter and hold the flame next to the shrink wrap rather than under it. You can control the heat by how close you are to the line. I then seal the end of the shrink wrap with a little super glue. Hardest part for me is starting the line into the "Chinese finger cuffs", really hard when I can barley control my fingers as it is! What loop knot does every one use on the leader?

Y
Yohan
GDBrown said:
What loop knot does every one use on the leader?

I use a perfection loop. It's pretty easy to tie and the knot does not kink the loop to one side, instead it is right in line with the leader.

T
the_intimidator03
yeah ive used perfection before i used the connectors... it was just big for me LOL I will get my fly rod back in working order to slay fishies shortly, thanks for the advice and ill let yall know what I did