Cortland Fairplay reviews? Anyone have input?

T
the_intimidator03
Well i have a 6 wt and am not liking the line that came with it. starts sinking after half an hour or so. I was thinking of this Cortland Fairplay WF floating line for 13$ should be a better line. I want to know if anyone has some input on this stuff? I am still fairly a noob when it comes to fly fishing. Went out once so far got 1 13" stocker.

C
Cake
Cheap line is just that, cheap line. I use a Cortland 444 sylk #, 3, 4 and 5 wts.

I'm not a knob.

Get a good line dressing and clean and dress your line regularly.

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
Ill have to check on that stuff there. I havent had much experience into fly fishing lol I figure a WF floating would be a good line type to start with instead of the level taper, as far as dressing the line regularly how often do you figure on that?

C
Cake
the_intimidator03 said:
Ill have to check on that stuff there. I havent had much experience into fly fishing lol I figure a WF floating would be a good line type to start with instead of the level taper, as far as dressing the line regularly how often do you figure on that?

I wash, dry, and dress my line every time I use it, it may look clean, but they really are.

A dirty fly line will destroy itself in no time. A reel just holds your line, but your fly line is

what you work with. A crummy line will give you crummy results.

T
the_intimidator03
alright ill have to look into setting some money aside for that cleaning supplies

C
Cake
the_intimidator03 said:
alright ill have to look into setting some money aside for that cleaning supplies

For cleaning, dish washing liquid and warm water. I just unreel mine into the sink, let it set

15 minutes, wash it off, dry it and put a coat of Scientific Anglers line dressing on it, let it dry

and run the line through a cotton cloth while putting it back on the reel.

I have had some of my lines for 14 years.

E
everett464
My two cents, I would strongly recommend getting a nicer line, than the Fairplay.

I have good luck with 444 Sylk rec'd by Cake.

Another to consider, Caddis Fly has Scientific Angler's "Sharkskin" on sale for $69 right now. You will never want another line after you try it.

I think the Rio "Mainstream" is about the least expensive line I would be comfortable putting on a reel.