Cortland 444 DT line

M
mrlindeman
I have been doing research and this line seems to be a great all around line for my kind of fishing. I have a 6W rod. Should I get the line in 5 or 6? Does anyone have any reviews for this line? I need something that will roll cast well and mend well. I primarally wet fly fish but occasionally throw dries. It needs to be able to cast larger streamers as well. I checked the website and only got minimal reviews. :)

O
OnTheFly
This may help you. Personally, I prefer WF lines. If you want, you could use a line that is 1 wt more than your rod but it's up to you.
Choosing the Right Fly Line

B
bigsteel
I have used the 444dt since i started fly fishing,and ive never had a problem with it,all around good line in my opinion....

Y
Yohan
I prefer WF lines, but I have nothing against DT. I also prefer RIO lines over Cortland, but again I have nothing against Cortland, RIO lines just seem to work better for me and the rods that I have. To answer your question I think the Cortland 444dt is a good line (not a great line, but not a bad line either) IMO... and if you wanted... you could also call a fly shop, see if they have one spooled up, bring your rod and give 'er a go.

H
halibuthitman
there is a lot of information missing in this question... what brand of rod are you casting, is it fast, medium, slow... you mentioned a preference towards wets.. your rod may be a stunning dry fly rod but a poor rod for lake fishing streamers or heavier flies... you might decide to go to a sink tip.. I would, but thats me, take the rod in question to a fly shop and ask them what lines will cast best for your aplication, rod, and casting level... I think cortland is fine.. teeny or scientific angler mastery might have better choices for your rod-

M
mrlindeman
My rod is a 6 medium action. I got the 444 dt . Its seems to haul out easier and shoot harder once the rod is loaded. I know my backcast needs work but allready my roll cast is benefitting from this line. Thanks for all the help guys

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Good call on the DT line :) They're just generally more useful than WF tapers, and except for some specific situations, I think I'm done with WF lines.