Corkies and yarn

W
wormosa
how do you tie this up? if anyone has any pictures that would be great... i want to try it... help !!!

B
bigdog
When I tie mine up I start by tieing a eggs loop and before I put the line through the eye of the hook I put my corkie through the line and then the eye. This keeps the corkie right at the hook and then I tie a piece of yarn below the cokie on the line with one knot (the knot you start with to tie shoes) pull it snug and trin the yarn where it ends at the end of the hook. Just enough to to be flush with the hook.

I hope this helps you sorry I don't have any pics of it. Good luck
CJ

W
wormosa
bigdog said:
When I tie mine up I start by tieing a eggs loop and before I put the line through the eye of the hook I put my corkie through the line and then the eye. This keeps the corkie right at the hook and then I tie a piece of yarn below the cokie on the line with one knot (the knot you start with to tie shoes) pull it snug and trin the yarn where it ends at the end of the hook. Just enough to to be flush with the hook.

I hope this helps you sorry I don't have any pics of it. Good luck
CJ
thank you big dog, i have not tried and i want to do it, is there any color that works best when you use this technique? and it the flourescent yarn the best or will any yarn do?

B
bigdog
Most the time I use a pink corkie with black yarn or white yarn (pink with white makes it look like a egg skien) If water is way clear and or low I will use black on black. Some times might run black corkie with blood red yarn. I don't think any brand of yarn would make a diff yarn is yarn to me.

M
Mike123
Tie yarn balls... My method... take hook, put in vise, tie 3-5 strands of yarn on flat, cut in circular ball. :D Works wonders on steelhead.
Or you can use magic thread and just take 4-5 strands of yarn and tie in middle with magic thread. then trim into uniform ball of fish catching glory!

or... use corkie and yarn. Tie bait loop.. slide in yarn(and bait), then slide down corkie and peg with toothpick tip. ;)

A
autofisher
wormosa said:
thank you big dog, i have not tried and i want to do it, is there any color that works best when you use this technique? and it the flourescent yarn the best or will any yarn do?

Color is going to depend on the water conditions, sometimes flourescent, sometimes a more natural muted color. The yarn used by most manufacturers is an acrylic that holds the brighter colors better. There are some that use wool. From my experience, knitting yarn is not the way to go. It doesn't look very natural and almost floats because of the materials. I prefer the wool yarn.

M
Mike123
Def go with Glo Bug yarn

B
bigdog
autofisher said:
Color is going to depend on the water conditions, sometimes flourescent, sometimes a more natural muted color. The yarn used by most manufacturers is an acrylic that holds the brighter colors better. There are some that use wool. From my experience, knitting yarn is not the way to go. It doesn't look very natural and almost floats because of the materials. I prefer the wool yarn.

See now there is where I was missunderstanding what was being asked. No I wouldn't use knitting yarn, I do usse glo bug I was thinking maybe he was looking at other brands sold at the fish store wasn't thinking about the hobby store :lol:

A
autofisher
Mike123 said:
Def go with Glo Bug yarn

Or you can make your own, or there are a couple of local manufacturers that sell on a smaller basis that put out some decent yarn too. Glo Bug is the largest manufacturer on the west coast.

M
Mike123
autofisher said:
Or you can make your own, or there are a couple of local manufacturers that sell on a smaller basis that put out some decent yarn too. Glo Bug is the largest manufacturer on the west coast.

My favorite is the blood red with sparkle in it! Mix that with a jensen egg and DYNOMITE steelhead bait! Maybe coho too!

A
autofisher
bigdog said:
See now there is where I was missunderstanding what was being asked. No I wouldn't use knitting yarn, I do usse glo bug I was thinking maybe he was looking at other brands sold at the fish store wasn't thinking about the hobby store :lol:

I only say this, because I wanted to start making my own yarns. I tried the knitting yarn, not knowing any better. It didn't end up being very fishable.

W
wormosa
bigdog said:
i did not put it right and thanks for clearing it up you guys, my wife does crochet, but i saw yarn at bi-mart and it was flourescent, granted it is cheap for this yarn, i was wondering it the wifes would work and what colors, sounds like i am bying some yarn...

autofisher said:
I only say this, because I wanted to start making my own yarns. I tried the knitting yarn, not knowing any better. It didn't end up being very fishable.

your yar looks like the store baught stuff good job... i thought it would have to be bright so it catches attention so to speak...

kirkster
kirkster
wormosa said:
how do you tie this up? if anyone has any pictures that would be great... i want to try it... help !!!

I dont have a way of getting you a pic. But if your still wanting to see a corkie and yarn setup. Next time your at fishermans on the corkie ailse there is display of several different ways to rig.

A
autofisher
wormosa said:
your yar looks like the store baught stuff good job... i thought it would have to be bright so it catches attention so to speak...

It depends on the water conditions and what the fish want over all. I like mine a little bit more muted to offer in my mind is a more natural look. I can make them brighter by adding or taking a step away in the dye process depending on the color. I can also fade them making them look a more powdery.

A
Anyfishisfine
wormosa said:

At Fariday a month ago I was fishing black corkie with red yarn and hooked a chinook (which jumped and threw the hook). I Lost that tackle, and tied on orange and orange and a few minutes later landed a steelhead. Experimentation is the key I think. Buy an assortment of corkies and a bunch of different colored yarn. It's pretty cheap compared to buying spinners, and a bag of yarn will last a long time.

W
wormosa
and there is no bait on the hook?

kirkster
kirkster
No bait at all just tie up an egg loop leader put you yarn through the egg loop trim yarn after in the egg loop at least so its at the bend of the hook. Next slide your corkie on the leader if you want the corkie either leave your corkie as a slider or if you want it to stay at the hook stick a toothpick and break it off flush with corkie. Very productive by itself or it can also be fished with bait.

kirkster
kirkster
wormosa said:

Keep one thing in mind wormosa, when fishing a corkie and yarn rig up. Bright colors are not as appealing to fish as you would think. In clear water I've found the darker the better. I would say that 90 percent of the steelhead and coho Ive caught have been on black yarn with either black corkie, orange corkie, or sometimes no corkie at all. Earlier this week I started fishing at legal time in the morning and its still dark and hooked a coho first cast on strait black yarn trimmed half way down a number four owner hook very small presantation. a lot of people think they wouldnt be able to see the black yarn in the dark it they do. I have found that the bright color s tend to spook a fish esp. steelhead when the water is off color I feel is the best time to try the brighter colors. Good luck

A
alm21
One way I found to be very effective for securing yarn with the corkie is as follows: Once you slide your corkie onto your leader, take a short scrap piece of line and insert one end through the top corkie and out the other end (hook side). Now take the hook side end and re-insert into the bottom of the corkie and slide through making a small loop on the hook side and the two loose ends at the top of the corkie. Now, take your yarn and center it inside the loop then pull the two loose ends so now you are pulling the yarn into the center of the corkie. Once you have the yarn pulled to the top of the corkie or close to it, grab one loose end of the scrap line and pull out the line - trim yarn as preferred. This works so well, the yarn won't fall out, you can slide your corkie up and down the leader and if you want to change your yarn, just pull it out and repeat.

W
willierower
Here is a good vidio on tying a yarn ball. Very easy.
Pete