Corkie, bobber and yarn??

R
rainbowfisherman
Anyone every drift corkie and yarn under a bobber for winter steel? seems like maybe an ok idea??? But maybe not

T
Thuggin4Life
I'm not a float fisher but I think there might be some bouyancy issues with that.

R
rainbowfisherman
I was thinking of place ing a weight a couple of inches above the corkie

J
JeannaJigs
in my experiences it doesn't work too well. When i first started fishin', i hated losing gear drifting, so the float was my safety and you bet, I tried it lol The issue is that corkies are buyoant, and designed in a way that works effectively for floating above a small amount of weight on the bottom, but with a float, you get a screwy presentation with a corkie. There's nothing natural about it. A float and a jig however, is deadly, and I highly recommend it.

S
steelhead_stalkers
You are better off trying a bead under a float instead of a corky, plus it looks more like an egg. Yarn would probably work ok since its similar to a fly or jig the only problem is getting it to ride horrizontal in the water. You would probably do better tying some marabou onto your hook and floating it. :)

M
Mike123
Bobber and yarn fly KILLS! :cool:

Get the weight just barely ticking bottom... 24in. leader and your set.

R
rainman
rainbowfisherman said:
I was thinking of place ing a weight a couple of inches above the corkie

Isn't there a regulation requiring 18" or so between hook and weight ??

D
DirectDrive
JeannaJigs said:
in my experiences it doesn't work too well. When i first started fishin', i hated losing gear drifting, so the float was my safety and you bet, I tried it lol The issue is that corkies are buyoant, and designed in a way that works effectively for floating above a small amount of weight on the bottom, but with a float, you get a screwy presentation with a corkie. There's nothing natural about it. A float and a jig however, is deadly, and I highly recommend it.
+1
Jeanna's all over it.

The only time I would try something like this as opposed to pure drift-fishing is if I was in a spot where I couldn't get a "clean" drift:

1. Boulders, bedrock, timber, etc. was impeding my drift and I knew the spot could hold fish.

2. If I didn't have a jig handy or didn't want to re-rig

3. The corky would absolutely have to be "pegged". For this, the hard-to-find long taper toothpick works best. The common short taper round toothpick does not fit the corky hole cleanly and could damage your line.
The good ones are "square-round" (square centers) and made by Forster (Diamond) see attachment.
Insert the "peg" at the bottom side of the corky and snip off, leaving a short "tag" (don't cut flush).
Yep, even peggin' corkys can get technical and good steelheaders are very technical with their gear and offerings.

4. A quality clip-on float is handy is this situation....no re-rigging...just clip it on and hit that gnarly spot with a deadly presentation on the next cast.

Last edited by a moderator:
R
rainbowfisherman
I bought some of those marabou steelhead jigs. All of the jigs are pretty much pink and white with some fluff hanging off the back. I am probley gonna go to the Alsea in about to weeks for some early steel and drift those under a bobber

F
fishtales
None of the rivers is oregon have that reulation with the the placement of a weight as far as I know. The out of state Russian river has 12 inch reg. and you can't use bate.

M
metalmania
rainman said:
Isn't there a regulation requiring 18" or so between hook and weight ??

Over 5/8 inch hook gap requires an 18"+ leader.

T
THE JEFF
fishtales said:
None of the rivers is oregon have that reulation with the the placement of a weight as far as I know. The out of state Russian river has 12 inch reg. and you can't use bate.

I think you are incorrect, page 8 of the regulations states that when fishing for salmon or steelhead all weights must be attached above uppermost hook. If useing hooks over5/8" or multiple piont hooks Weights must be 18" above the uppermost hook. When in doubt read the rules.

F
fishtales
That's good to know. I go a little bit further most of the time.

S
steelhead_stalkers
rainbowfisherman said:
I bought some of those marabou steelhead jigs. All of the jigs are pretty much pink and white with some fluff hanging off the back. I am probley gonna go to the Alsea in about to weeks for some early steel and drift those under a bobber

What marabou jigs are you talking about? If they are some of mine they will probably not work on the Alsea!! :lol: Its almost Dec. 1st whaa hoooo!! :dance:

R
rainbowfisherman
Uhh i have noo idea..

R
rainman
THE JEFF said:
I think you are incorrect, page 8 of the regulations states that when fishing for salmon or steelhead all weights must be attached above uppermost hook. If useing hooks over5/8" or multiple piont hooks Weights must be 18" above the uppermost hook. When in doubt read the rules.

Good advice. Ignorance these days can get expensive. Oregon is in the top 10 list of states most hurting for money, and I would not be surprised if law enforcement have been told/nudged in giving tickets where ever possible. :think:

B
BobberDown
well i like to fish a yarn ball or glow bug as it is called a lot as a dropper or a mad river egg works well as a dropper off of my jig somtimes but you do not want a corky it will flot to hight in the water calome you would have to run your wight so close to the bottum that you may as well be drift fishing it is a lot cheaper to just drift fish at that rate if you start to lose gear but i have hooked a lot of steelhead of my dropper but you have to run your jig very close to the bottum it can be tricky to do but very afective

R
rainbowfisherman
I have sliding bobbers how far should i set the stopper?? 10 ft?

B
BobberDown
rainbowfisherman said:
I have sliding bobbers how far should i set the stopper?? 10 ft?

well that would depend on how deep of water you are fishing and the strucksure of the bottum and water speed