Cops on the water?

T
Thuggin4Life
How often do you guys get stopped by a cop or see one out on the water when springer fishing nearb portland?

M
metalfisher76
Not enough game cops. But depends on the river. The Clack gets a irregular visit from a boy in blue.

B
Bullitt
When the fishing is hot and the crowds are big, they are out there. You may never "see" them however.

In Portland (CR/Willamette), depending on where you are exactly, you could get a visit from OSP, Clark Co SO, Multnomah Co SO, Clackamas Co SO, and the Coast Guard.

I always get a kick out of seeing gamies "fishing". :)

Oh and if all of the sudden the gamies show up and head for one particular boat out of many....it's probably because a guy in the tree line has been watching everybody with a spotting scope. :) :)

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
I will be in my boat just wondering if i have to worry about being boarded or if i can drive my boat the entire time without getting stopped or is there a good chance of me needing someone else to be driving it.

J
joesnuffy
Thuggin4Life said:
if i have to worry about being boarded

Sounds like you have a Pirate problem. Argh!!!!!

T
Thuggin4Life
lol, just suspended boaters privalages. I don't need a $100 ticket.

F
fishtales
When we where out earlier this week on the Columbia we did not see any.

My experience is the county mounty is more present on the Willy at night than during the day, but that doesn’t mean they wont be patrolling during the day too. As long as you are doing what you should be I don’t think you should have any problems.

J
joesnuffy
Thuggin4Life said:
lol, just suspended boaters privalages. I don't need a $100 ticket.

And you don't see a problem with going back out?

If you "need" to go fishing from your boat, take a friend that has a license. You can still drive as long as they are in the boat with you.

X
xltom
As much as Andy gets out fishing, I bet it's tough to find someone licensed to drive....if you want to fish somewhere close this weekend.....I'll roll wichya...

DON'T DRINK AND TROLL! HE HE HE...

T
Thuggin4Life
I got 2 buddies coming who have there boaters card to operate a 10 or higher since I have a 15. I have a card but with suspended privalages yu cannot drive a boat no matter what or even let a friend use you boat since it gets grounded as well. for the first 6 months i was carefull and even got boarded by the coast guard but as soon as i did the saftey course the state marine board all of a sudden found out about the supension and sent me the letter. thats why my new boat isn't my boat its my girlfriends boat so the registration is valid instead of suspended. i take my boat out all the time and is totally legal other than me driving it and i don't do anything to get stopped or draw attention. i just want to know how big of a chance there is that while I am trolling in the columbia a cop will pull up in his boat and want to see that everything is legit and it will be unless the run my name in the system but if the just want to see paperwork then i have it all and of course i won't be driving it as we pull up to the ramp. Even there isn't a good probability of being boarded then I will just drive. so far sounds like i will be.

Admin
Admin
Thuggin4Life said:
if i have to worry about being boarded

As a member.

If you post on a public forum that you have suspended boaters privileges but you drive your boat anyway, you DO have to worry about being boarded.

As the administrator.
The OFF was created for anglers who care & share. Your post screams "... and I don't care". It doesn't belong here. It belongs to... i don't know... Outlaw Fishing Forum? :lol: I can't tell you what to do with your life, you are a grown man, you can make your own decisions. But I can tell you what you can't do on the OFF. You can't post here about your plans to do something that violates the law, and you can't ask for advice on how to do it in the most efficient way. ;)

T
Thuggin4Life

Last edited:
X
xltom
Your suspension is almost over right? Probably not a bad idea to let a lesser captain drive your girlfriend's boat till then.

T
Thuggin4Life
Anatoliy said:

As a member.

If you post on a public forum that you have suspended boaters privileges but you drive your boat anyway, you DO have to worry about being boarded.

As the administrator.
The OFF was created for anglers who care & share. Your post screams "... and I don't care". It doesn't belong here. It belongs to... i don't know... Outlaw Fishing Forum? :lol: I can't tell you what to do with your life, you are a grown man, you can make your own decisions. But I can tell you what you can't do on the OFF. You can't post here about your plans to do something that violates the law, and you can't ask for advice on how to do it in the most efficient way. ;)

It would cost them more than the ticket would be to even try to issue me one even if they knew where i was going. Only if they happen to bump into me and get lucky with they come out ahead.

As for Illeagal stuff on the forum I appolagize and wont talk about the constant harrasment by one cop on one body of water trying to get tickets until he did getting myself suspended for a year. And it does scream I don't care because I don't and every trip I post on here after a day of fishing in my boat confirms that. If year was an outlaw fishing forum I wouldn't joing it because i fish legally just sometimes the how i got there may not have been by means of driving while suspended or boating while suspended. For know on I will word things correctly as to not violate the the law of OFF since I don't know what i would do If i got suspended from the site, maybe heroin? As for you anatoliy if you are ever in the neighborhood hit me up and I will take you out fishing on any of the local lakes execpt dexter. And don't take this post the wrong way not trying argue I did appolagize and agree with you.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah but then I will have someone else to blame for no fish.

X
xltom
Anatoly's got to protect the forum of course, but I would think this would be a good place to post about the harrassing officer who gave you your ticket. It would be useful to others who fish the same spot. Who knows, maybe he has harrassed others here as well....... Small town cops can be the worst.

F
fishtales
Hey thug doesn’t worry the mistake in the earlier post. I’m just as guilty of making wrong decisions to do something I like just in an different situation. I think it is called being human or temptation or something like that... lol

I was going to tell a story about a guy I know who has a pretty fast boat but I will not go there after reading the post above.

Good luck if ya decide to fish up here this weekend. I drove over the I-5 Bridge again today and it looked packed with boats which is a pretty good sign that something is going on. Hopefully it is people catching big fish.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks for the info.

Admin
Admin
Thuggin4Life said:
As for Illeagal stuff on the forum I appolagize
Apology accepted.

Thuggin4Life said:
and wont talk about the constant harrasment by one cop on one body of water trying to get tickets until he did getting myself suspended for a year.
Now, that's totally different story. I think you should post about stuff like that. Other OFFers should be alerted about that cop.

Thuggin4Life said:
I will word things correctly as to not violate the the law of OFF since I don't know what i would do If i got suspended from the site
Thanks. It would be pity to lose you. You are a guy who likes to fish and likes to share his passion with other anglers.

Thuggin4Life said:
As for you anatoliy if you are ever in the neighborhood hit me up and I will take you out fishing on any of the local lakes execpt dexter.
I will gladly do that.

Thuggin4Life said:
And don't take this post the wrong way not trying argue I did appolagize and agree with you.
Deal :D

xltom said:
Anatoly's got to protect the forum of course, but I would think this would be a good place to post about the harrassing officer who gave you your ticket. It would be useful to others who fish the same spot. Who knows, maybe he has harrassed others here as well....... Small town cops can be the worst.
I second that.

B
Brokenrod
I shouldn't say anything, but...

As a former law enforcement officer and a person that prides myself on being a law abiding citizen, like the majority of everyone else here, I have a hard time listening to people like you. While working in the field of law enforcement I was constantly amazed by the way individuals can justify just about any kind of illegal activity. "It was the cops fault that I got the ticket" is always a good laugh for me because people really talk themselves into believing it. Whether you steal a candy bar or a car makes no difference, it's still stealing. You cut the guys throat with a pen knife or you do it with a sword ends with the same results. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

I likely know who you are talking about and know he wouldn't harass you unless he knew you were doing something outlaw in the first place and he had a hard time grabbing you in the act. Cops (State Police in this case) don't act like TV characters. They don't bust your tail lights just to give a ticket or some other crap like that. If you were ticketed, then you should have been. We all need a license to drive a car/truck, motorcycle, and BOATS among other things. Do you condone people driving without being insured and licensed? Not likely. Some advise to you, don't break the law and you won't be "harassed."

And don't do it when I'm around either.