Copper Cleo & chrome combo (Clack)

D
dozer365
Fished hard all day today. From 7 tell 7. Saw a ton a steel Rollin and jumping around. Couldn't find a biter all day. On my way home I pulled down a road and decided I had to try a few more cast. I only needed one.
So after being frustrated all day at Mciver. I headed to my little hammer time spot and walked up to the riffle. Above two guys. One throwing pink worm on a drift rig. Other throwing big 4 or 5 blue fox. I made my first cast at this spot. When my spoon landed a trout/smoky attacked it. I always set the hook. It shook loose. And I continued my drift/roll/flutter. Tap tug just before the swing. Set the hook and didn't feel anything. But I saw a fish thrash under the surface. Kept reeling and ended up with a nice little wrestle and a 29 inch buck. Poor thing was treble hOoked in the tongue. All 3 hooks in the underside of the tongue.
3 fish in a week on this Cleo. I can see my weekend already. Still need that 13-15 pound summer though. Maybe I'll try fishing deeper water. Suggestions on catching bigger steel are always appreciated.
Tight lines and dry socks y'all

Last edited by a moderator:
B
bran_man
Nice fish for sure! Fighting a bigger steelhead is really not too different than fighting a cookie cutter.just make sure to play them out.I have noticed some of the 10+ pounders I have landed sometimes tend to act more like a salmon fight. They stay deep and do more big power runs.it's actually less chaotic and they tend to jump less, if at all. Just try not to get over excited that's it's a more than average fish because that's when people start messing up.just remain calm and play them properly

L
Liphooked
I will be out that way this weekend. I have a friend lives out in front of the power plant. I haven't caught one keeper big fish this year. Got all 20 left on my tags. Wondering if cazador is heating up or if maybe we could hook up for a day of fishing? I got college so Fridays through sundays are my fishing time. If interested let me know.
dozer365 said:
Fished hard all day today. From 7 tell 7. Saw a ton a steel Rollin and jumping around. Couldn't find a biter all day. On my way home I pulled down a road and decided I had to try a few more cast. I only needed one.
So after being frustrated all day at Mciver. I headed to my little hammer time spot and walked up to the riffle. Above two guys. One throwing pink worm on a drift rig. Other throwing big 4 or 5 blue fox. I made my first cast at this spot. When my spoon landed a trout/smoky attacked it. I always set the hook. It shook loose. And I continued my drift/roll/flutter. Tap tug just before the swing. Set the hook and didn't feel anything. But I saw a fish thrash under the surface. Kept reeling and ended up with a nice little wrestle and a 29 inch buck. Poor thing was treble hOoked in the tongue. All 3 hooks in the underside of the tongue.
3 fish in a week on this Cleo. I can see my weekend already. Still need that 13-15 pound summer though. Maybe I'll try fishing deeper water. Suggestions on catching bigger steel are always appreciated.
Tight lines and dry socks y'all

J
joem
bigger steelhead hang in the same places the smaller ones do, there just aint as many of them. i pulled a 12 lb summer and a 6 lb summer out of the same hole same spot 15 minutes apart one morning a day after i got 2 11 lbers out of the same spot. then a week later got 2 more that were about 7 lbs. if the fish is there fish for it, people say only good fishermen get big fish, when its actually the lucky ones. you can't catch a big fish if a big fish aint there, and if the big one is there you have to have what it takes to catch it. like salmon, i lost a huge fish around 30 lbs in the same hole i got a little 5 lb jack, its all about the fish being there at the time your fishing for them and you doing what it takes to catch them. i once told my dad i got lucky and got 2 steelhead, he told me "luck had nothing to do with you landing or hooking the fish, you knew what you had to do to get the fish and you did it, no surprise to me that you did it" just keep doing what your doing and eventually the big fish will bite.

E
eugene1
Nice looking fish there! I was just gonna agree with joem, big fish hang out in places where little fish are also. Just depends how many big ones come in this year.

Best,

J
joem
eugene1 said:
Nice looking fish there! I was just gonna agree with joem, big fish hang out in places where little fish are also. Just depends how many big ones come in this year.

Best,

oh ill also add, one of the steelhead i seen yesterday i couldnt get my bait to cause all the trout hanging out next to it would swim up and attack everything before it got to him.

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:

Best,

YUPPP BIG STEelhead hold in the same spots the smaller ones do. Just have to be there at the right time and get lucky enough to get the right presentation to get the big one to bite (if its there). I tend to believe the bigger fish are more spooky.

D
dozer365
This week I ended up getting 2 hens 25&31 inch and a 29 inch buck. All in roughly same kind of water. All hit pretty soft. No line burners. I'm thinking maybe I'll have to drift out the lurker lunkers. Rippin fish lips maybe right.
Thanx for all the input. I'll keep casting and hope to hook up. Guess I should just be grateful I'm getting into fish.

R
rippin fish lips
dozer365 said:
This week I ended up getting 2 hens 25&31 inch and a 29 inch buck. All in roughly same kind of water. All hit pretty soft. No line burners. I'm thinking maybe I'll have to drift out the lurker lunkers. Rippin fish lips maybe right.
Thanx for all the input. I'll keep casting and hope to hook up. Guess I should just be grateful I'm getting into fish.

A 31" is a dandy for a summer. Id say you found one of them bigger ones. Just keep doing what you are doing, and keep fishing the way your have been. you willl come across one of them 32 or 33" plus summers. a lot of times, small will get bigger ones.