Coos Bay Fishing Reports 2018-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
Big Nigiri
Any fishing reports out of Coos Bay? Thinking about doing a mixed bag trip next weekend for crab, bottom fish, and salmon. Just wondered how it has been down there.

Thanks
Dan

Reactions: Ikijime
plumbertom
plumbertom
I've read no reports on any of the forums I visit.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Report I got on Oct1 from a friend that lives in North Bend is that salmon fishing has continued to be slow.

B
Big Nigiri
Thanks guys. A slow day of fishing is still better than working!

4labs
4labs
Fished from Jorden Cove ramp to Mansfield last week. Around the chip pile and RR bridge lots of salmon the problem is the crap in the water making
trolling a mess. Think next time I will just mooch a hole herring no flasher.
Saw some crab pots on the east side of the channel and talked to a guy at the ramp. Tons of small crab. Need to crab near Charleston.
Good luck

G
Gulfstream
Let me know next time your are down this way Mark!

B
Big Nigiri
Rock fish was hot today, yellow buoy past the bar. Not sure what the area is called, but I call is success! Hope tomorrow is as productive.

Reactions: Ikijime and rogerdodger
G
Gulfstream
2.5 hrs ,5 traps,30 ft of water.We got some monsters .Good grade overall and no softies! HAVE FUN!

0.jpg

Reactions: my2labs, Admin and 4labs
Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
A friend and I did equally well in Charleston on Thursday last, scoring two limits in 4 hours with four traps, with a few reaching 7.5"! All hard shelled, and firm meated. A day well spent!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, good to hear people are getting out after these tasty bugs...

Reactions: Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
Good reports from Bandon too! Time to go again!

plumbertom
plumbertom
I forgot to post my report yesterday morning.
Finally got out on Coos Bay Monday 3/2.
Mid day low tide just before noon, a low coefficient and mild winds with no rain.
On the water just after 10 AM.
Put out our traps along the 25' line from about the #5 buoy to upriver in a couple hundred foot spread.
Then off to fish the cribs.
A Slow bite but we did harvest 5 black rock fish, 3 about 1 lb one about 2 lbs and best for the day and my personal best Black a 4 lb (On my buddies digital scale) beast.
Crabs were out moving around in good numbers but those numbers were almost all Females and shorts.
Three 1 hour soaks later we had tossed between 100 and 200 back for another day.
We Did manage to harvest 15 legals to split between the two of us though.
It was a good day.

Reactions: Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
Awesome! I've been hoping someone would post a crabbing report. I was craving fresh crab a few days ago.

Curious how you fish the cribs. I've never had luck.

G
Gulfstream
NICE!

plumbertom
plumbertom
jamisonace said:
Awesome! I've been hoping someone would post a crabbing report. I was craving fresh crab a few days ago.

Curious how you fish the cribs. I've never had luck.
I use a fishing pole.
Yeah I know, I'm just a SAOB.
I normally use swim baits, on jig heads, I don't really think color or type is important other than you want good visible colors. I'm convinced Black rock fish will try and eat anything that they see. I just toss them up close to the structure, let them fall to the bottom then swim them back to the boat. You get snagged a bit fishing close to the rocks and on the kelp, but it seems a lot of time the fish are holding close to the structure waiting for food items to come by to ambush from hiding. Which points out the importance of fishing the down current side as much as possible.
But I've caught plenty out away from the rocks as well.
But it takes a lot of cast and retrieve for each fish, with variations on retrieve speed and depth.......
By the way, I've had plenty of days where I didn't even get bit doing exactly the same as days where I caught my five in a matter of minutes.
Either way, it gives me something to do while my pots soak.

Check out PK's videos. That's where I got started doing it.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm probably too impatient. I doubt I've given it enough time. I just wish the ocean would sit back down so I can get out to Simpson again. It's been a long time and I'm running out of fish in the freezer.

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
That would be a problem for my little jon boat no matter the conditions outside.
Just not enough free board for me to feel confident even fairly flat conditions.
So I stick to the bay and fish the jetties when the waves allow me to further down river than the cribs. But that shallow bar next to them is where I usually draw the limit. when the waves coming in are breaking over it it gets a bit difficult to keep off the rocks and fish at the same time.

G
Gulfstream
2 limits 30 F O W 2.5 hrs between Charleston and Empire.
IMG_6420.JPG
HAVE FUN!

Reactions: plumbertom, Admin and rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent.

hobster
hobster
Most excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom