Coos Bay submerged jetty 4/16

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Pepper and I hit the submerged jetty on Friday and it was almost really good. Got my limit of crab, ~5 softer and 7 solid guys. But both the lingcod I landed were 21", just could not find a keeper. :mad:

I did retain a nice 2.5# BRF and a 1.75# CRF. And the new thrusters were fantastic while working in close to those big nasty jetty rocks just under the water.

1XwKdwS.jpg

fSBEKHf.jpg

DZ59jPx.jpg

CRUNCH!
wDrkiYf.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Markk, C_Run, bass and 1 other person
bass
bass
Looks like a great day! Awesome that the thrusters were such a success. Did you do anything special to deal with salt water on the install (I can't remember if you said anything in the earlier post or video). Do you need a sacrificial anode?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
they are designed for use in saltwater, the recommendation is to rinse them well afterwards with fresh water. there are lots of cheaper versions of these ROV thrusters available, I went top of the line units from Blue Robotics, they sell all sorts of replacement parts for them so if there's an issue, it isn't just 'buy a new one'.

you can imagine how fun it was to have the Mirage drive in reverse, slow pedaling to hold against the tide that was pushing me into the submerged rocks, and being able to just swing the rear of the kayak left or right by turning the rudder full to one side and hitting the thrusters for a second or two...all while tapping the bottom with a cannoball sinker and chanting "ling ling, come out and play". šŸ˜†

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Waiting on another big Calibut from you!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Good job there, Rodger.
I was hoping to get out today but it just didn't work out.
Maybe in a couple of days.
I really try to schedule my trips to coos Bay on days with the lower coefficients.
I dislike having to chase my traps up or down the current.