Coos Bay ocean crabbing

N
nb07bcar
Hello everyone,

My family and I are coming camping in Coos Bay in Aug. I was wondering if anyone would maybe share some pots for in the ocean for crabbing. I find a lot of info on the bay crabbing, but would like to get out on the ocean and soak some pots while fishing for salmon. Any help for first timer in Coos Bay would be helpful.

C
Clbagshaw
I have only done it a few times but we where told to go north and fished around 50-75ft of water. If you have a depth finder look for flat sandy bottoms.

N
nb07bcar
Ya, my North River has all the goodies. It looked on Navionics that the sandy beaches to the north would be better than to the south unless you went further south, just didn't know if there was decent action out there or just stick to the bay for crabs. Also does anyone know if the salmon season out in the ocean would be good early Aug. I looked and they stay thats the start usually. I'm used to Buoy 10 and fishing late Aug Sept.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I drop my pots over sand just south of Sunset Bay, about 60' of water off the Glass House at Shore Acres, popular place for crab pots if you are bottom fishing between there and Simpson reef to the south. not helpful if you are heading out to troll for salmon...of course if the salmon aren't cooperating, some rockfish/lingcod/crab isn't a bad outcome...

N
nb07bcar
rogerdodger said:
I drop my pots over sand just south of Sunset Bay, about 60' of water off the Glass House at Shore Acres, popular place for crab pots if you are bottom fishing between there and Simpson reef to the south. not helpful if you are heading out to troll for salmon...of course if the salmon aren't cooperating, some rockfish/lingcod/crab isn't a bad outcome...
Thanks for the info.

N
nb07bcar
rogerdodger said:
We are camping at sunset bay. I see on Navionics there looks to be some underwater structure / rocks there. Are you fishing that with flies and swim bait and hard jigs ? Also have you left your pots overnight out there. I leave mine out here in CA, but you never know about all the pot potchers out there. It's bad in CA.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
yes, structure all over, there are reefs heading NW towards Baltimore rock and the whistle buoy, Simpson reef to the south is where I usually load my kayak with rockfish and lingcod. kayaks and smaller boats launch at the north end of the Sunset Bay day use area on nice days...I always start fishing with a squid on a 2 hook mooching rig, plus I have a rod loaded with a 4oz Lancers jig, and also a spinning rod with shrimp fly rig and a 2oz swim tail jig at the bottom.

I've never left pots overnight but I think they would be fairly safe out there. Inside CoosBay, less confident they would be safe.

April 19:

rkXLdoF.jpg

Reactions: Admin and Markk
N
nb07bcar
rogerdodger said:
yes, structure all over, there are reefs heading NW towards Baltimore rock and the whistle buoy, Simpson reef to the south is where I usually load my kayak with rockfish and lingcod. kayaks and smaller boats launch at the north end of the Sunset Bay day use area on nice days...I always start fishing with a squid on a 2 hook mooching rig, plus I have a rod loaded with a 4oz Lancers jig, and also a spinning rod with shrimp fly rig and a 2oz swim tail jig at the bottom.

I've never left pots overnight but I think they would be fairly safe out there. Inside CoosBay, less confident they would be safe.

April 19:

rkXLdoF.jpg
Nice, thank you for the info.