Cool..I'll get this ball rollng!

troutdude
troutdude
I have heard lots of good stuff about Antelope Flats. One buddy, fished it years ago. He couldn't keep 'bows "off" of his white speckled Rooster Tail. And they were nice sized too.

I have also heard, that fish grow rapidly there too.

However, if anyone has experiences up there...please correct me if I am mistaken. I am only going on second hand reports.

C
cookshot
Are you talking about antelope flat reservoir near Prineville? If so they poisoned it last fall to kill the catfish and re stocked it, so I'm not sure how big the fish have gotten or what size they stocked in there. Good luck though, I don't imagine it's gotten much pressure.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I like the place but I would not built it up too much. There are no camp grounds right on the reservior and it's a steep walk from the camp ground to the water. Cookshot is absolutly right about the poisoning of it and Walton Lake, to clear out the cat fish. The place is really off the beaten path and although it has a certain beauty it's not like Diamond Lake or any of the Central Oregon lakes with those fantastic Cascade views. On a scale of ten I'd give it a strong 6+ with places like Fish Lake in the Steens or Crane Prairie, and The Deschuts being 10s. It's worth the trip and I've seen fish caught up there on everything from flies to power bait. If you go check out the store in the City of Post!;)

C
cookshot
Irishrover said:
If you go check out the store in the City of Post!;)

Sidenote: Post= geographic center of Oregon... well, a post in a field that is in the city of post is the center.

G
Griz
City of Post !

City of Post !

Gotta love the store in Post ! Antelope Flat is in the middle of no mans land ! Last fishing report had some good things to say so maybe things are picking up now.

O
oregonman
Griz said:
Gotta love the store in Post ! Antelope Flat is in the middle of no mans land ! Last fishing report had some good things to say so maybe things are picking up now.
Y'all know those deer in the post store are fake??? Sorry, I was crushed when I found out as well!

V
Vectorpete
I hate this place! It has no fish and is never a good time. Please do not go there. Thanks

S
steelhead_slayer
vectorpete said:
i hate this place! It has no fish and is never a good time. Please do not go there. Thanks

lol

troutdude
troutdude
Something tells me, that it's a good place to go...and Vectorpete doesn't want the word to get out.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I posted this on an other thread about that piece of water. It's a nice place to fish but the road going in there is full of ruts and tends to be blocked by avalanches.;)

"Antelope Flats Reservior is no place to go it is haunted and has lake monsters in it. The wind picks up and waves reach 35 feet tall but thats only when there is water in the reservior. The camp ground is full of grizzly bears and snakes and they have a very high camping fee there. I will never go there again unless of course I want to catch lunker trout with green wooly buggers and smell the fresh ponderosa pine and be at a little use place right in the center of Oregon':)

J
jrowley
I was there a couple of weeks ago. Fish are running 12 to 16 inches and the catch rate is high. Boat fishermen are doing a little better than the bank guys, but not by much. Check with Jack at the Post store. He fishes it a lot and doesn't mind sharing.

John

W
Weezer123
That was so great! Thanks for sharing it in here!