Cooking crabs - boiling or steaming?

N
n8r1
I wasn't sure if this should be under recipes or something else so if a moderator thinks it needs to be moved that's fine by me.

I'm wondering how you guys prefer your crabs cooked, steamed or boiled? I've always boiled mine and thought they tasted great, but someone told me that if you boil them then all the tasty crab juice boils out of the crab and into the water. They said that if you steam them, then the juices stay inside and make the meat better. If this is true then I may consider switching methods.

Has anybody done both and have an opinion one way or the other?

O
OnTheFly
I have not done both..only boiled. Famous 'Tony's Seafood ' up here in Oregon City boils them too. I'm not sure you would get the taste out of a crab by steaming. I may be wrong though. Just seems by adding a few spices in the 'broth' you get better results. What would taste better, a steamed piece of chicken or a piece taken out of some soup.:think:

H
halibuthitman
One should boil "green" or live crab, and steam already cooked crab- and they should share it with Brad...:dance:

T
The Nothing
halibuthitman said:
One should boil "green" or live crab, and steam already cooked crab- and they should share it with Brad...:dance:

What he said. Personally I don't like to reheat crab, and would rather eat it cold. Unless you're shelling before boiling, you're not going to loose anything.

T
Thuggin4Life
Only boiled them but and as for left over cooked crab i eat it cold but now gonna have to try to steam it. As for flavor i like to put a large amount of butter,pepper, and old bay into the water, with a bit of garlic. and i like to pop there backs of pre boil to get rid of most of these juices you want in your meat. not a all natural crab butter guy. i make mine with butter and fresh garlic.

M
Modest_Man
Where do you get Old Bay? I actually made crabcakes last night and the recipe called for Old Bay but I couldn't find it at Safeway.

I agree with boiling live and steaming already cooked cold crab.

T
The Nothing
safeway should have had it, i dunno a store that doesn't carry it (i know mine has 3 different brands even!)

or you can make your own:
# 1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
# 2 teaspoons celery salt
# 1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
# 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
# 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
# 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seeds
# 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
# 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
# 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
# 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
# 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
# 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

when i'm doing big crab boils over the summer (4 people's limits of puget sound dungies), I like to use whole herbs rather than the ground varieties.

M
Modest_Man
I probably just couldn't find where it was located at.

A
Amberjack
I like Old Bay..Fred Meyers has it.

T
Thuggin4Life
i dunno xltom turned me on to it and left a brand new one over here. told me if i like seafood like i do i shouldn't be caught without it. even used it while we were out of seasoned salt on my steak.

M
moosebrew13
My Safeway had Old Bay right by the seafood counter not on the regular isle.

X
xltom
Thuggin4Life said:
i dunno xltom turned me on to it and left a brand new one over here. told me if i like seafood like i do i shouldn't be caught without it. even used it while we were out of seasoned salt on my steak.

OLD BAY!!! EAST COAST STYLE!!!

Boil em for a couple minutes then take em out one at a time... run under cold water then clean em. Then right back in the pot to finish up. This lets the old bay loaded water into all the nooks and crannies.. also evens out the cooking....legs cook faster than big bodies. My buddy Kevin from Delaware cleans em live!! then boils the halves. I don't have the heart for that though... it's like pulling the wings off of flies. Flies don't pinch the heck out of you either!!!

You shouldn't have trouble finding old bay but I think I usually get mine at albertsons

Last edited:
Reactions: n8r1
B
Born2Fish55
I plunge cook my Crabs in rapid boiling water filled with Old Bay or other seasoning until they begin to change color, then lift them and allow them to steam for about five minutes. I then pull them out one at a time, clean for eating or vacuum seal for short term freezing until I'm ready for them. I also 'split-kill' and clean them prior to boiling since my wife and some friends do not care for them cooked whole. I think it's a matter of preference... I just like eating them, so it does not really matter to me... just give me some butter, lime and beer!!!!

Reactions: n8r1