Confused!

Gunga
Gunga
So i have been looking at the Tap Plastics website for materials to fix my boat. And im totally confused on what resins i should buy, what kind of fiberglass mat i should buy, what hardner/catylist i should buy. If anybody could tell me what products are best for what. My boat has a lot of scratches on the gel coat. it needs a new transom. it needs a new seat/cross support. Im really confused about which ones i should buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

R
RunWithSasquatch
Where are you located?

I have never used this brand, Ive always used a different product so I dont have any first hand experience with this epoxy. From what I see, I'd recomend getting the 102 hardener (fast) with the epoxy. You will need to be fast with your applying.

Are you going to paint your boat, or varnish it?

I do recomend applying a coat of thin epoxy to your new plywood to help protect it, and will ad extra strength. You will need to let it fully cure if you do this, and then lightly sand the "blush" off of the epoxy. It will leave a waxy coating on the epoxy coating that will not let anything adhere to it.

The glass, are you glassing the bottom? 19oz tri axle glass is what a lot of boat people prefer. Im sure any mid to heavy weight glass would be good for what you are doing.

Gunga
Gunga
Thanks for the info. I live in Aloha. so i will probably go to the tap plastics in tigard. thats the closest one. I was going to apply epoxy to the plywood because im not going to get marine plywood. I havnt decided on the painting part of it yet. And i dont know if im going to glass the whole bottem yet. i need to get the boat from my uncles and look at it. Hopefully theres no rot on it, hes had it sitting outside for awhile.

R
RunWithSasquatch
What kind of boat is it? I think you posted it once, but I didn't look. If you dont paint, you can varnish over the epoxy, but make sure its UV protection varnish. If its just going in the lakes, you wont really need to glass the bottom.

Gunga
Gunga
I havnt posted it up on the forum.... yet. I think it might be a homemade job im not sure though. All i know about it is that before my uncle got it, it had belonged to a dude that used it to go crabbing with 3 small crabbing pots. Do you know how much 19 oz tri axle glass is per square foot or yard o what ever how they sell it?

J
JeannaJigs
Wish I could help. I'm in the same boat, kinda. Been putting it off, need to do some improvements to the drifter before the fallies are upriver. I don't know much about this nasty crap other than I patched a pair of holes in the stern by myself, and it still floats and doesn't leak and has been on the river a lot since then. So if I could figure that bit out, the rest shouldn't be too bad? Maybe. Haha. It's just messy and the fumes are horrible. respirator is a necessity. I was high as a kite after this, and it wasn't good.

Gunga
Gunga
LMAO! i dont have a repirator. My uncle might help me. he has worked with fiberglass before, I just did all the costs of everything minus the cost of paying someone gas money and the total to fix up my boat is 200$ give or take.

J
JeannaJigs
That's not too bad. I had a respirator, that didn't fit. Make sure it's not a respirator sized to fit freakin' Sasquatch. This thread is motivational to get me off my arse and reglass the bottom and do some interior improvements

Gunga
Gunga
LOL your welcome! I can't wait till i get paid!

R
RunWithSasquatch
youngfishtyler said:
I havnt posted it up on the forum.... yet. I think it might be a homemade job im not sure though. All i know about it is that before my uncle got it, it had belonged to a dude that used it to go crabbing with 3 small crabbing pots. Do you know how much 19 oz tri axle glass is per square foot or yard o what ever how they sell it?

I dont know the cost, its been a while since ive used it. I got all of my stuff from a boat builder on the Mckenzie, so I wasn't doing a store directly.