Confused salmon theory to test

B
bigfootfish
I noticed some steelhead in the Calapooia River, underneath the Third Street Bridge which goes down into Bryants Park in Albany. The Lebanon Canal dumps into the Calapooia beneath that bridge, as a waterfall too high for fish to get up. The interesting thing here is the Calapooia is closed to Salmon and Steelhead. The Lebanon Canal is South Santiam River water diverted upstream from Lebanon at the Lebanon Dam. So those Steelies might think that the Lebanon Canal is part of the South Santiam.
Now I know of two other "canals" that flow into the Willamette downstream from the mouth of the Mainstem Santiam and both those canals are fed from water diverted from the Bennett Dams in Stayton. This means North Santiam River water is entering the Willamette downstream from the mouth of the Santiam. I wonder if any Coho are hanging around those entry points thinking they've found a shortcut? Hmmmmmm. Think I might find out today. Those two "canals" are the Sydney Ditch and Mill Creek, the Mill Creek which flows through Salem. Hmmmmm.

BFF

M
Mike123
I've caught steelhead up by Holley deep in the canyon. They just looked like huuugeeee rainbows. Nice fight on a 5wt. :D

Does this mean coho go up the calapooia?
I think tomorrow Ima go investigate these coho that are up around here.

B
bigfootfish
Coho & Steelhead on the Calapooia

Coho & Steelhead on the Calapooia

How far up the Willamette the Coho are going is the big question. ODFW has salmon fishing closed on the Willamette and its tributaries upstream from Albany, starting at the Hwy. 20 bridge. The Calapooia is and has been closed to salmon and steelhead for years. Period. It's not listed under special regs in the rule book, therefore it come under the heading of stream not listed and ALL streams not listed under special regs are permanently closed to salmon and steelhead fishing. So it says in the book, anyway. Crabtree and Thomas Creeks are in this same category. Until Oct. 31 we can trout fish no bait on the Calapooia Riverplus Thomas and Crabtree Creeks, though it is catch and release on all three, according to the regs. Bummer.

BFF

M
Mike123
I found me a spot Ima try tomorrow. Google maps is amazing! :dance:

B
bigfootfish
Confused Coho

Confused Coho

Mike123, let me knowif how it goes. Thanks.

BFF

M
Mike123
bigfootfish said:
Mike123, let me knowif how it goes. Thanks.

BFF

Will do! If I make it.. I have my car torn apart in my garage. Priorities first.
Fishing is my #1 priority. :D