Confidence in every cast

H
Herefishyfishy
Just wanted to share a story from saturday that really reinforces what I know we have all heard about how important it is to have confidence that every cast could be the one that lands a fish. I was fishing with a buddy at MCIver and I saw a tree overhanging the bank a little so did a little back hand flip under it. Next thing I know my line starts going up stream, but being a rookie with no:think::think: confidence since I seem to be incapable of hooking a steelhead at this point, it didn't register what was going on for a second and by then it was too late. I tried to set the hook but it had already spit it out. So I'm standing there in dibelief of how stupid I am for about five minutes then go to vent to my buddy who's fishing about 250' upriver from me. Before I get a chance to say anything he says " you should have seen the steelhead that just swam by me right next to the bank it must have been 30 inches!" :wall::wall: Anyway the point is I learned that it's confidence in every cast that can be the difference between a quick reaction and a fish or standing there wondering what the hell just happend.:think:

S
steelhead_stalkers
You are right about that! That's why after a full day of fishing you should be mentally exhausted from all of the concentration!!

Y
youngbuck307
steelhead_stalkers said:
You are right about that! That's why after a full day of fishing you should be mentally exhausted from all of the concentration!!

you know funny you say that try telling my girl that i dont work right now so she gives me a lot of **** when i say im exhausted from fishing part of it is how much i hike when im out but a big part of it is mental.

F
fishnquest
Good post. Well said. Amen.

O
OneMore
Dont worry about it. It happens at times to all of us. Just the other day I was working on my bobber fishing skills and missed two fish cause of lack of confidence. I watch as my bobber slipped underwater two different times. My only reaction was I bet its just dragging bottom and only slightly lifted on the rod to get it free. Both times it was a fish that took at short run only to spit my unset hook! :think: So I would have to agree remember every bobber down, line bump, or tap could be a fish and swing batter swing. There are no stike outs in steelheading.

Y
youngbuck307
When in doubt set that hook!!!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Yeah, I think its especially true when float fishing. You have to watch every little bump or twitch because a lot of time it can be a fish. When we went out a week or so ago with a guide and side drifted all day I felt like I had more energy at the end of the day. You still need to concentrate but you don't have to stair at something all day. You can just think about what you are feeling in the rod. Regardless any type of fishing is hard on the concentration and I always feel like a zombie when I get home.

B
BobberDown
Herefishyfishy said:
Just wanted to share a story from saturday that really reinforces what I know we have all heard about how important it is to have confidence that every cast could be the one that lands a fish. I was fishing with a buddy at MCIver and I saw a tree overhanging the bank a little so did a little back hand flip under it. Next thing I know my line starts going up stream, but being a rookie with no:think::think: confidence since I seem to be incapable of hooking a steelhead at this point, it didn't register what was going on for a second and by then it was too late. I tried to set the hook but it had already spit it out. So I'm standing there in dibelief of how stupid I am for about five minutes then go to vent to my buddy who's fishing about 250' upriver from me. Before I get a chance to say anything he says " you should have seen the steelhead that just swam by me right next to the bank it must have been 30 inches!" :wall::wall: Anyway the point is I learned that it's confidence in every cast that can be the difference between a quick reaction and a fish or standing there wondering what the hell just happend.:think:
very good post also the most over looked key to being a good fisherman.
with a lot of fisherman the only thing sepirating the good from the grate is confidence in your fishing ability and what you technique you are useing and in where you are fishing
i did the same thing this year i was testing a new chinook jig on the wilson . We had bean fishing a very nice peace of holding water that we new there where fish in we could see them at times and they would roll every once in a while we hammerd that strech of water with eggs and shrimp cocktails for hours we where getting redy to move so rather than rebait i tosed a jig out and my fishing partner asked me for a new sickle hook. so not have much confidence in a chinook take a new proto tye (un Proven jig ) i set down my rod and whent to grab a hook i looked up and my bobber was pegged under water and my rod was starting to head for the water i grabed my rod set the hook and it was on a nice fallie on a jig. the fish was dark but still fun
on my bobber and jig rod i did not hook any more nooks that day but that jig hooked 8 more chums that day the point is evan after 20 years of fishing one cast one moment of lost cofidence not only almost made my miss that fish but loss one of my favorite rods to good luck guys

Y
youngbuck307
great story dan!

H
halibuthitman
he he.... I can't count how many times ive tucked my flyrod under my arm to light a cig at the end of a swing and a darn fish has smacked my fly:rolleyes:

Z
ZeeBorn
youngbuck307 said:
When in doubt set that hook!!!
Took the words right out of my mouth! ... or would that be finger tips...