Condensating toilet reservoir

T

TTFishon

The reservoir on our toilet condensates bad. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this problem?

M

Markcanby

The only thing I have seen that works is a type of blanket that goes inside the tank. I think you can get them most places.

F

fishkiller

you could try insulating the tank. Sometimes if it's an older toilet you should just switch it out for a newer model, which have a thicker wall. If you are on a well water seems to come out of the ground colder this time of year, which adds to the condensation problem. If you need help switching it out send me a PM.

P

plumb2fish

as was already stated the tank tends to condensate when the water in the tank is below the dew point. The temp inside the room raises the water temp. to the dew point and condensation is the result. there are tank insulation kits that "help" the problem but the only cure is to have the incoming water warmer than the dew point. that does not mean run warm water into the toilet... don't ask how I know this, it's not a good story...cold porcelin... hot water ...no toilet

M

mlw

A good bath fan might help also. Showers etc build a lot of humidity in the bathroom, exhausting it pulls lower humidity air in from the rest of the house, so their is less water to condense on a cold surface. A good bath fan is a quiet bath fan (less than 2 sone) as folks are more likely to use them. It also helps keep your bathroom from falling apart.
Michael

T

TTFishon

A good bath fan might help also. Showers etc build a lot of humidity in the bathroom, exhausting it pulls lower humidity air in from the rest of the house, so their is less water to condense on a cold surface. A good bath fan is a quiet bath fan (less than 2 sone) as folks are more likely to use them. It also helps keep your bathroom from falling apart.
Michael

I think we could use a better fan anyway. We have a small house and for some reason there has been a lot more condensation on the windows in the living room than in years past. We aren't using the heaters as much this year too. I'm sure that factors into the equation too.

Z

ZeeBorn

I haven't tried this my self but, I would think that if you got an aquarium heater and put it in the tank that would do the trick.
Good luck with that!

18406ej

I would be worried that each flush causing the tank to empty would increase the risk of burning out the exposed element pretty fast. I used to work at a plumbing shop, and those foam inserts that Mark Canby referred to are the best and easiest solution.

The award for ingenuity goes to Zeeborn for his idea though.

Last edited:
T

TTFishon

I would be worried that each flush causing the tank to empty would increase the risk of burning out the exposed element pretty fast. I used to work at a plumbing shop, and those foam inserts that Mark Canby referred to are the best and easiest solution.

Probably fairly inexpensive too. Thanks.

L

Last Cast

A plumer friend recomended that you check your flapper or the water float. If you have water running constantly even a trickle these will cause condensation.

T

TTFishon

A plumer friend recomended that you check your flapper or the water float. If you have water running constantly even a trickle these will cause condensation.

Well, I just checked it and it does have a slight trickle. It's not constant but every few seconds I can hear it. Thanks.

Fish-On Fred

Fish-On Fred

If you have the old ballcock fill valve, replace it.

If you have the old ballcock fill valve, replace it.

Well, I just checked it and it does have a slight trickle. It's not constant but every few seconds I can hear it. Thanks.

Bingo....Try replacing the Korky Flapper. Get the Red one. It is better for well water. Before you go to Jerry's, lift the flapper and feel for an imperfection on the flush valve.. If you feel anything unusual, then you may need a complete overhall kit on your tank.. No not fret as the instructions are forthright. Goodluck....Fred

T

TTFishon

Bingo....Try replacing the Korky Flapper. Get the Red one. It is better for well water. Before you go to Jerry's, lift the flapper and feel for an imperfection on the flush valve.. If you feel anything unusual, then you may need a complete overhall kit on your tank.. No not fret as the instructions are forthright. Goodluck....Fred

Hey thanks. We actually have city water out here. So should I still get the red one?

Fish-On Fred

Fish-On Fred

Hey thanks. We actually have city water out here. So should I still get the red one?

It would be better if you do, as that rubber holds up longer against the cloramines in the water. Goodluck, Fred

T

TTFishon

I wanted to say thanks to all of your replies. I installed a new red flapper last week. There's still a little bit of condensation but at least it's not dripping of the tank.

Top Bottom