Compromise between kids and adults fishing

O
orapaho
Wondering if you can point me to a lake or river that can may have camping nearby that affords a better chance of pulling in some trout for the kids, but preferably not the powerbait fishing I have grown a little tired of on Timothy lake. Just Came back from shelter cove on Odell last week without a bite from the trout. Luckily we caught 15 Kokanee- great experience. Also looking into biking trails around lakes. Any help is appreciated?

M
Markcanby
I would say Olallie but man the SKEETERS ARE BAD!!!!
Its a great place I was up there Monday an everyone was getting there limits flys,worms,powerbait you name it. I would say go for it next month but camping would be terrible right now on teh up side we didn't have any bug as long as we were on the water.

O
orapaho
I remember fishing olallie in the past. I liked the lake. If I remember right, the fish were a bit bigger than the stock size trout I get at timothy. Also little wind up there, right? I hate mosquitoes... trying some jungle juice next time I go to see if that keeps them away.

M
Markcanby
Yes the average fish we got was 10" but had no problem getting 2 limits of 12"+. I can get breeze up there but not to bad an you can always find a cove out of the way. The bugs are the only real thing to stop you an like I said I camped there later in the summer an not had a problem. When is your trip planned for?

O
orapaho
Anywhere between July 15 and July 30th.

Q
qwapaw
I like Diamond Lake for bank fishing. I have pulled my boat up there and not done well from the boat and the next day fished off the bank with power bait and spinners, and worms and done real well on nice 14-16" trout. I think th e lake Jigs made by Steelhead Stalker would work good from the bank if you took the time to figyre out how fast to reel tham in. Standing at the boat rental look left and you will see the big upper and lower cabins. There is a trail being them. Stay on it until you see a bench where you can sit on an look at the lake. We fished right there several times with good luck. It was simple for us, because we were staying in one of the cabins. Hope this helps, Tight Lines, Qwa

G
GDBrown
I would suggest Twin lakes! There are a couple campgrounds at the lakes and the south lake (I think) has a small resort sort of that has boats and peddle boats to rent. Beautiful peaceful place that is small enough to fish the whole lake without getting tired or blown off the water. The day we stopped by they were catching nice trout on everything from worms and PB to spinners and flies.

M
Markcanby
Oh yes I didn't think about Diamond cause its out of my camping range this year but if I could thats where I would go!

C
capblack
diamond is terrible this year because of the bugs. the fishing is good if you like wearing a mosquito net the whole time. early spring is best for diamond. Brian
Markcanby said:
Oh yes I didn't think about Diamond cause its out of my camping range this year but if I could thats where I would go!

I
ICamel49
Give Miller Lake some consideration. Nice trail around the entire lake that is bikeable.

S
strawberry shortcake
Try those lakes on a windy day (check the weather forecast). Biting bugs hate wind.

G
Gutshot
ICamel49 said:
Give Miller Lake some consideration. Nice trail around the entire lake that is bikeable.

Miller is a nice little lake, but if you're worried about bugs, I'm not sure it's a great choice. I haven't been up there this year, but the worst bugs I ever got mixed in with were up there. I came away with 30 odd bites on just my right arm.