Commonwealth uggghhhhh!!!!!!

D
Dakotablood
OK so I've about had my share of commonwealth, which is a shame cause I only live about 3mi away so its very convienent. I've tried spinners, worms, powerbait, plastic worms, just about everything you can think of. I grew up in the midwest and trout fished about everyday and always had luck...what the crap. Why can I not catch or even get a bite at this damn pond. So if anyone can give any tips or suggestions I would appriciate it if not its gonna be a short fishing season. Thanks guys and gals

P
PDXKush
go with a size 14 treble and 2-3 foot leader and yellow corn powerbait with anise oil and just cast out with a sliding 1/2 oz weight about halfway out...bring a chair and a pole holder and a book. They will bite if not after 1/2 hour switch to orange trout powerbait...if nothing after 1/2 hour switch to another powerbait sherbert or green. Always make sure you put enuf bait on your treble to float your hook easily and always let your hook and bait sit in the water for a few seconds to set the bait before you cast out. Good luck and dont give up. Also if you smoke cigs or someone in your family does..Make sure to wash your hands before you go out and your trebles for sure.

B
beaverfan
I have caught hundreds of trout of there this year alone using mostly the same methods as you. So I would try different presentations. How are you rigging your powerbait? Also where are you fishing from, I have noticed that some spots simply just don't produce fish. Keep tryin' I know there are still plenty left in there. Also you could try for bass, catfish, crappie or even carp.

J
JASMINE
Try some Kastmasters, i pulled up there last week and caught like four in one hour while everyone else was catching nothing. Nothing big, but if you are just looking to catch some fish then it should work.

D
Dakotablood
Common wealth

Common wealth

sorry for the late reply, I work grave yards so I was sleeping. Anyways to answer your questions beaverfan I usually fish on the creek side on the dock or across right by the inlet. For powerbait I use orange which I have never ever caught a fish with powerbait so I"m not a beliver. Anyways I have also tried gold kastmasters, spinners, white/red spoons, mepps. Who knows also I know there are suppose to be bass and catfish but I don't have a clue how to catch those so anyways hopefully your guys tips help. Thanks again and fish on. :clap:

F
FishSchooler
Try chartruese powereggs, they are much better!

S
scouternw
Treble hooks

Treble hooks

I continue to be amazed that folks calling themselves "fishermen" will use a treble hook (no matter what size). The only thing you should use a treb for is for snagging your pole that you dropped out of the water! Just my opinion.

On Commonwealth, I've fished in since 1981 and have found that with those people fishing at night and those not knowing how to count to 5 deplete any stocking done in less than 2-weeks. Always a few who ruin it for others.

B
beaverfan
Um... How does fishing catfish at night deplete the trout population. If there out there fishing for trout that's one thing. You can't fish for trout at night, but as far as warmwater species it's completely legal and a very common practice. I have never myself or seen anyone fishing for or catching any trout or anything other than catfish and carp.

P
PDXKush
scouternw said:
I continue to be amazed that folks calling themselves "fishermen" will use a treble hook (no matter what size). The only thing you should use a treb for is for snagging your pole that you dropped out of the water! Just my opinion.

On Commonwealth, I've fished in since 1981 and have found that with those people fishing at night and those not knowing how to count to 5 deplete any stocking done in less than 2-weeks. Always a few who ruin it for others.

I've fished with Treble and Siwash over the last 2 months (Just started fishing) and I have found that my siwash causes more bleeders and the occasional hook to the brain doa. With trebles I have had no real issue with bleeders and I have never had a doa but then again Ive just been fishing for 2months. I do think barbless is definitely the way to go and makes a for a much better challenge. But this is just my 2 cents and I am just a rookie fisherman. Now as for people fishing at night...didn't know it was legal as I thought that park closes at dark if Im not mistaken. Im sure the occasional drunks do show up and snagem and those people will have karma get them back. But I agree with you that there always are a few who ruin it for others. Also I feel @ a community pond people should release as many as possible to leave more fish in there for the kids.

B
beaverfan
The park is technically closed at dusk but fishing for Catfish is open at night unless otherwise listed in the regs. (no such restriction here) I'm not condoning breaking the law by any means but if the locals are ok with tons of people jogging and walking there dogs till the wee hours of the morning, I don't see a whole lot wrong with tossing your line in.