Commonwealth Lake Fishing

B
beaverfan
Anyone ever fish Commonwealth Lake? I hit it pretty heavy between mid-march and june when the weed growth becomes overwhelming. I have always done great there. Just looking for some "local" fishing buddies.

G
Green_Tackle
No, but it's only 18 minutes away from me so I'll probably check it out on one of my lunch breaks sometime after they stock it in March.

B
beaverfan
I think you will like it, it's a really nice little lake. Long and narrow and great access for children and wheelchairs. It has 3 large fishing docks and tons of bank access

N
Noahk
Has anyone made it out this year?

B
beaverfan
As of Friday it still has not been stocked. The water level in the lake is too low and they won't put them in. I also heard a rumor that the water quality is also too poor and that they possibly will not be stocking it at all this year. I hope this is not true as it is a local favorite of mine.

N
Noahk
That's too bad, thanks for the update, I live close by too and it's nice to be able to do some fishing so close to home.

B
beaverfan
If they stock it I will be one of the first to know so I will throw a quick post up here about it. So make sure and check back. I went to Bethany Pond yesterday and killed em. Maybe you could check that place out. It's right off of 185th about a mile north of hwy 26.

N
Noahk
Awesome, thanks buddy. I've never been to bethany, what were you using?

B
beaverfan
I started with a spinner caught 7 or 8 in about an hour, then my back started hurting so I switched over to powerbait. I quickly caught my limit and had a nice trout feast for dinner. Very tasty I must say.

P
Phillip Neidhart
Reply to Beaverfan(Maschoist)

Reply to Beaverfan(Maschoist)

I can use a fishing buddy who is free to fish on weekdays. My regular only fishes on weekends and wants to avoid rivers. Boring!!!
PHILLIP NEIDHART
neidhart@hevanet.com

S
Surejam
Beaverfan.. What type of spinners do you have luck with out there? I took the kids to Bethany last week with power bait and night crawlers.... couldn't get a bite. I think it was still pretty cold when we went though.

Surejam

P
Phillip Neidhart
Any small spinner type, usually brass ia effective as is the bait you tried. the problem is the watter temp. It is just to cold for the fish to be active. Hopefully it will pick up when the temp of the water is over 50 degrees. currently it is 46-47 degrees. It will only get better as the weather improves.
Good Luck,
Phillip

B
beaverfan
i have always had the best luck there with black and orange blue fox spinners. i have also done pretty well and just about any darker colored rooster tails

P
pdx89
hey... i hear that both lakes have other fish besides trout, just a thought:)

p.s. try PowerEgg's

M
michaelkim9582
yeh i know that commonwealth is stocked with bass, catfish, and bluegill. but im not so sure about bethany. Does anyone know? I live somewhat close to commonwealth as my dad works for nike which is close to commonwealth. I think I'll check out commonwealth next week if the sun shows up.

M
michaelkim9582
people that live by, feel like sharing some good places to fish in area.

B
beaverfan
I don't know if they stock Bethany with warmwater species but I have seen some monsters probably close to five pounds just hanging out by shore!

D
Dakotablood
Commonwealth/Bethany

Commonwealth/Bethany

So this week I've gone to common three times this week and no luck, but of course its been crappy weather so who knows. Anyways I'm gonna try Bethany tommorow and we'll see what happens. I don't get this whole story about the water temp, I grew up in the midwest and I could catch any fish any time of the year. Maybe the state should stop stocking so much and let some fish grow naturally and expand the season some. Who knows

B
beaverfan
I will be out at Bethany tomorrow afternoon myself.

B
BIG D
beaverfan said:
If they stock it I will be one of the first to know so I will throw a quick post up here about it. So make sure and check back. I went to Bethany Pond yesterday and killed em. Maybe you could check that place out. It's right off of 185th about a mile north of hwy 26.

:think: OK Hold here now I live on 223 and hwy 26 are ya talking about the pond east of Vance park off of 190th?? just south of Yamhill st?? Thanks Big D