Commonwealth Lake- all the info you need

M
Moe
Well people start a lot of threads asking for help on this lake, so I started one with a bunch of info on all the species in the lake. Enjoy!
Commonwealth Lake- Bass: Fish for them at the start of the pond on the dock closest to the soccer field. Fish parrallel to the bank next to the outflow pipe. Fish a whole nightcrawler under a bobber. Dont set the hook immidietly. The fish is gonna take it around that little area there and up to the overhanging tree. When it comes back around towards you, it is gonna take the bobber completely under, now or never set the hook. if you miss it reel in put a new crawler on and try again. If you dont miss it you will land a 4-6 lb bass.
Trout- Immidietly after stocking- use power bait and power eggs any where around the lake. simple as that.
Couple weeks after stocking- use worms under a bobber. Fish the side of the lake opposite of the soccer field. If you are on the side of the lake with the dam, keep going on that side till you reach a clearing on the bank. That is my little honey hole. it is the last clearing before you get to that dock on that side. Best trout spot for about a month till the weeds get there. Then wait till next season.
Catfish- The majority of the cats you catch will be bullheads. Fish a quarter ounce slider and about twelve inches leader later tie a small treble hook. Put a gob of worm on there and cast out. Fish the area on the dock next to the soccer field. Fish before dusk and intill about ten. Then go home cuz the wierd people start showing up lol. Biggest bullhead I have seen caught out there was about 17 inches.
Bluegill- June is the best time on this lake for bluegill. Nightcrawler bits under a bobber on the dock next to the soccer field. Fish by the outflow pipe. You will get a ton of gills there.
Carp- when the water is reel low like now, fish corn with the least weight possible(slider) and fish the side opposite of the soccer field.
Sturgeon- I have wittnessed a 30 inch sturgeon pulled out of there. It was released so it could very well still be in there!
This is the most info you can get online so if you read this you will be an expert on this lake now. I learned all this after fishing about 200+ hours on this lake this past year.

D
Denduran87
A sturgeon seriously i have to go check this pond out it's only a 5 min drive away from our apartments!! Thanks for the greeat info!!

D
Denduran87
Got stocked today gonna try tomorrow for trout and carp!

D
ds-as
Anyone having any luck lately at Commonwealth? My son (age 14) and I have been there several times this spring, including yesterday, and haven't even gotten any nibbles. I'm afraid he is losing interest. :( Not nearly as much patience as I have! Yesterday around 6 p.m. lots of people were fishing there, but didn't see anybody catching anything. My son asked "can we go now?" several times and I finally gave up - probably just before they started biting.

According to ODFW, Commonwealth was confirmed stocked last week with 1500 legal-size, and per the Recreation Report was supposed to have been recently stocked with 200 pounders from Desert Springs Hatchery. Would really like to catch one or more of those....but if we can't even get a smaller one to show interest, there isn't much hope of that!

C
crazyhorse613
Heading outthere tomorrow afternoon, Anyone having anyluck out there recently? All i ever catch is weeds.

C
crazyhorse613
i went out to commonwealth yesterday and pulled out 4 in about an hour right off the warf on the west side of the lake. first time catching anything at that place, but fishing was good yesterday.

D
ds-as
crazyhorse, may I ask what you were using with success? and were you catching trout or something else? thanks!

C
crazyhorse613
I was fishing the bottom with night crawlers. If ur not getting bites with just night crawler, ad a small piece of chartrues power bait to the end of the hook with night crawler. It was my girlfriend and i there with one other guy fishing off the warf. we appeared to be the only ones catching anything at the time. All around mid day.