Common Wealth Lake 05-13-11

S
Spydeyrch
May it was because today is Friday the 13th or maybe it was just me but man it was annoying!!!

So I shot out to commonwealth today around 7:30pm to get in a little relaxation. My kids were high stung and crazy today and many, did I need some quick R&R. It is only like 3 mins away from where I live so not to bad. I got there and got setup. I started with a little san juan worm that I got the other day, I think a size 14. Nothing, so then I tried an elk hair caddis, size 16 I think. Nothing again. I watched the water and started to see the fish rise and especially over next to the little bridge over by the playground. So I got over there and started casting. I started to see quite a number of rises around my area which were promising. But I couldn't get a single hit on my elk hair caddis. The most annoying thing was that there was this one particular fish that kept hitting the end of my fly line!!!! :shock::shock::mad::mad:

And always at the same spot. So I cast to that area with my fly, skating it around. He would never hit the fly!! But as soon as I would lay my fly line down, BAM!!! He would hit the fly line!! There were some times were he came completely out of the water and did some nice acrobatics!! But never with my fly. I switched to a wooly bugger, and nothing. I switched to a scud and nothing. But still he would hit my fly line. Judging from the number of times I saw him leave the water, I would say he was a good 12 - 14 inches. The cool thing was that it was definitely a trout but he was all red. And dark red. But definitely a trout. Very pretty.

So around 8:45pm I left and got back to the family.

Any ideas as to why he was hitting my fly line and not my fly? Just a dumb hatchery fish maybe? hehehehe :lol::lol::lol:

Any thoughts on how I can get him to take a fly?

Thanks!!

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
well atleast you got out dude! nice to hear you knocked the dust off the fly rod again. i think it's the same thing with the indicator strikes. it's bright,weird and triggers strikes because it makes them curious. sometimes they wont hit dries unless they are realy really small,or it wasn't the right bug for the hatch. pink san juan worms work well also. maybe try a big bright buggy dry fly with a small dropper on it. chrionomids are a must have for lakes. also known as "snow cones" they work pretty damn well as a droppert or under an indicator. and maybe try making yoru leader very long so the fly line isn't way out towards the fish.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Those fish you saw surfacing near the dam were Carp, they have been hanging out there spawning for the last 4 or 5 days. I just got back from there did some catfishing!

S
Spydeyrch
beaverfan said:
Those fish you saw surfacing near the dam were Carp, they have been hanging out there spawning for the last 4 or 5 days. I just got back from there did some catfishing!

Interesting. Carp, really? Hmmmmm. I know that I saw trout rising and even some of them breaching the surface but perhaps that one that was more red than rainbow was a carp, my eyes could have been playing a trick on me. hehehehe

Anywho, it was still annoying that it kept hitting the end of my fly line (where it connects to my leader) and not my actual fly. Plus there were a ton of bugs hatching but I couldn't tell which were they.

Thanks for the input.

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
brandon4455 said:
well atleast you got out dude! nice to hear you knocked the dust off the fly rod again. i think it's the same thing with the indicator strikes. it's bright,weird and triggers strikes because it makes them curious. sometimes they wont hit dries unless they are realy really small,or it wasn't the right bug for the hatch. pink san juan worms work well also. maybe try a big bright buggy dry fly with a small dropper on it. chrionomids are a must have for lakes. also known as "snow cones" they work pretty damn well as a droppert or under an indicator. and maybe try making yoru leader very long so the fly line isn't way out towards the fish.

Yeah, it was nice. I got out there and was the only fly guy, hahahaha. Everyone kept givin' me the stick eye and thinking I was some kind of stranger, hahahahahahahaha. But at least it allows me to practise on my casting technique, or lack there-of. hahahahaha

-Spydey