commitment.

T
Troutier Bassier
I just realized, that I don't need spin fishing rods, or baitcast, or anything. all I need is a good fly rod in my hands.
I met a fellow today. He gave me a lot of tips on fly fishing and showed me a ton of stuff. He is a competition spey caster and was at the lake with an 18ft spey rod. :shock; yes, 18ft. He was casting an easy 180 feet. He says he guides for the sandy, clack, deschutes and john day. And he hasn't picked up a spinning rod since he was 12, and he is in his late 20's now..
As soon as I buy a 4wt that I can use for trout and stuff I'm definetly gonna retire the spinning rod for a little while.. :)

B
beaverfan
What no more Sturgeon fishing?

T
Troutier Bassier
I go Sturgeon fishing once or twice a year anyways. Not that exciting.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
No more carping? (Though, that means no mo' scary photos of you in your undies laying next to a dead fish, so that might not be a bad thing!)

S
Spydeyrch
Nice dude!! You wont regret it! I know I haven't. :D

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
who was the guide?

T
Troutier Bassier
ahhhh I can't remember his name. I think it was like Jeff or something... He lives in the portland area though and he's kind of a young guy. Late 20s.

T
Troutier Bassier
GungasUncle said:
No more carping? (Though, that means no mo' scary photos of you in your undies laying next to a dead fish, so that might not be a bad thing!)

Carp on the fly.

J
john montana
GungasUncle said:

No more carping? Perfect fly rod fish!
d978c047.jpg

Added the picture to gross out on the fly.

O
OnTheFly
Troutier Bassier said:
Carp on the fly.
OK....new rule: Members are not allowed to use My screen name and the word 'Carp' in the same sentence.:rolleyes:;)

[QUOTEAdded the picture to gross out on the fly.[/QUOTE]
hahahaha...your a funny guy Mark! (that picture gives new meaning to the word 'Pig';)

N
ninja2010
join the club, tb... s'bout time.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I wonder how big a carp Brandon could land with the 3 weight he wants in return for eating a 30lb carp...

J
john montana
Thought you might like that one...towing that sow to shore. The finished product.
55b4cbbe.jpg

Carp fisherman measure their catch in lbs...not inches! Hah...

All in good fun. I actually no longer own any spinning rods but certainly fished my share when I lived in mn. The fly rod simply suits the type of fishing I prefer...I have no doubt a spinning rod would likely be more effective.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
You know John, after last weekend's trip, I seriously contemplated scaling back on the # of spin rods I own, but then I remembered my lil' guy at home, and figure if I want to fish with him much when he's really young, it'll be with spin rods (which is cool. I just can't wait to fish with him!) - but Gene (GD Brown) has a fly rod that I want to copy for my little man's first fly rod, it's got this thin, cigar shaped grip that would be perfect for children and people with small hands, a neat little 7' 3/4 weight that just ooozed cool.

J
john montana
My kids each have a spinning rod that we use for some local pond fishing but late this summer I might get Elia started with a fly rod. I have a couple of broken three piece rods and I am thinking of putting a reels eat, cork, etc on the middle section. Make a 5 ft long light weight rod for my 6 year old. Could be kind of fun.

C
colbypearson
i never want to use anything other than a 7'+ heavy action casting rod lol......

Irishrover
Irishrover
Troutier Bassier said:
ahhhh I can't remember his name. I think it was like Jeff or something... He lives in the portland area though and he's kind of a young guy. Late 20s.

TB could it be Travis Johnson by chance? Sure sounds like him. He guides out of the fly shop in Welches on those rivers is about that age and does comp spey casting.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
John, that does sound fun. I'm thinking about building my kid's first fly rod (I know I'm building his first spin rod) - was thinking something between 6 and 7 feet, around a 4 weight would be perfect - especially since he'll probably start out fishing for panfish and small stream trout. I've been looking at Batson's blanks, and they've got some neat, short blanks that might be the ticket.

brandon4455
brandon4455
GungasUncle said:
I wonder how big a carp Brandon could land with the 3 weight he wants in return for eating a 30lb carp...

LOL. don't bring that up mark! someone might go get a big ass carp and a 3wt. then i will be doomed hahaha

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Just think, if they get a 30lb carp and a 3 weight rod, that's only 1 line weight per 10lbs of carp meat, or 1/10th of a line weight per pound... at least you didn't say you wanted a 12 weight ;)