Columbia river salmon run

F
Fisherman.Z.
How heavily are the salmon running in the columbia?

O
osmosis
up and down.
I have been doing very well, as in multiple harvest cards well. but I hear of and watch a ton of skunks.

last week the gill nets were fishing on thursday, yes thursday one of our few days to fish! Pathetic that kulongoski and englund are overlapping our (sports and commercial) dates even though they are keeping us off the river half the week.
We must get these guys out of office and off the commission!

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Well, in the last 12 days I have hooked 9, and boated 6. Smallish early runners, but delicious. The fish are in the Columbia. Red Lables, and a nice roll will hook you a fish for sure.

Agreed Osmosis, time for change.

K
Kodiak
there is a third option......

there is a third option......

I say we do what this country is known for...RIOT!!!!! not that it gets us anywhere... Until the gillnets get out of the rivers fishing will not get consistant Z. Is it illeagal to fish right in front of the nets? not etical for sure but legality only?

T
The Nothing
you guys have been doing much better than I. Only the first trip out has given me anything, and it was a native. not even a sniff since then

K
Kodiak
Don't feel bad

Don't feel bad

I haven't even gotten out yet, and probably will completely miss the entire columbia season because of my work schedule. I'm just hoping we get a season above the falls so I can get a crack at springer flesh.

B
Big Moby
Kodiak said:
I haven't even gotten out yet, and probably will completely miss the entire columbia season because of my work schedule. I'm just hoping we get a season above the falls so I can get a crack at springer flesh.

I hear that brother. I want to chase them above the falls and in the Santiam

F
Fisherman.Z.
Santiam

Santiam

Could someone PM me when the fish start getting into the santiam. thats the river i plan on fishing a lot this year. but, as i am new to salmon & steelies, idk when they run in there....

i hate asking stupid questions, "but sometimes the dumbest questions are the ones not asked at all." -My Grandpa

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
I say we do what this country is known for...RIOT!!!!! not that it gets us anywhere... Until the gillnets get out of the rivers fishing will not get consistant Z. Is it illeagal to fish right in front of the nets? not etical for sure but legality only?

I'm so for this idea Kodiak!!
I was just talking about doing it tonight.
Seriously SOMETHING has to be done about the raping and ravaging of our rivers by the gill netters... and SEA LIONS.

K
Kodiak
We can't

We can't

We can't go all hillbilly on the gillneters as much as we would like too. I know some guides in alaska open bales of straw up river of the nets and they say they end up in japan some place, and the netters get all P.O. and say nice things like they do on that other forum.

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
We can't go all hillbilly on the gillneters as much as we would like too. I know some guides in alaska open bales of straw up river of the nets and they say they end up in japan some place, and the netters get all P.O. and say nice things like they do on that other forum.

LOL... wonderful idea! :D

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hate to say it, but I get eggos from the Columbia Gillnetters, and already this Springer season...Two boats have hauled up bails of hay in destroyed nets. They say there is a ghost 21 foot tiller sled, below Bonneville, who has been dumpin bails in at night, just at sunset. Can't say I disagree with whoever dumps 'em, but I definitely would not like to get caught!

S
specialk0082
osmosis said:
up and down.
I have been doing very well, as in multiple harvest cards well. but I hear of and watch a ton of skunks.

last week the gill nets were fishing on thursday, yes thursday one of our few days to fish! Pathetic that kulongoski and englund are overlapping our (sports and commercial) dates even though they are keeping us off the river half the week.
We must get these guys out of office and off the commission!
where u fishen,i havent been doing well latly atleast on the fishing part lol

K
Kodiak
ArcticAmoeba said:
Hate to say it, but I get eggos from the Columbia Gillnetters, and already this Springer season...Two boats have hauled up bails of hay in destroyed nets. They say there is a ghost 21 foot tiller sled, below Bonneville, who has been dumpin bails in at night, just at sunset. Can't say I disagree with whoever dumps 'em, but I definitely would not like to get caught!

Shame on them:naughty:! I understand most of the damage is donebelow the willamette. If your going to caryout terrorist activity DO IT RIGHT! However what ever it is Bravo. Has anyone heard what happened to the the gillnet ban bill in the legislature?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Most definitely. Most pirate operations are happening out of the mouth of te Willy, and farther down, but there are always the guys who dump, bails, with a dozen steel straps holding it together. You can visualize what happens when the bail comes apart in the nets, after rolling down river for miles. a lot of new bills fizzled, and got shelved, along with a bunch of other good stuff too. Sucks, but I hope this particular one actually went through.

C
cchinook
fish report

fish report

Trolled Mult. Channel Sat. for 6 hrs. with about 150 other boats - saw 3 caught - oh well - better then working !