Columbia slough catfish noodling!!!

I
Ifishforfood
so yesterday, me and my friend took our sling shots and pellet guns down to the slough area to shoot around, not realizing what we were in for! we hunted for a good two 1/2 hours w/out any birds, so we decided to move. as we were going under the bridge, we stopped, hearing tons of splashing by the rocks, in the completly still water. i then decided to investigate the commotion, and walked over. realizing that something, or somethings were under the rocks, i turned a couple over. i saw about 5 tails of some types of fish swimming around under the rocks, within reach. i then stuck my hand in one of the dark holes. to my utter astonishment, i felt a writhing mass of fish around my hand, so i grabbed one out:shock:. it was a brown bullhead catfish, and i then caught and released around 50 - 60, give a few i took home for my tank:dance:. talk about a winter wonder! also, does anyone know what the fish were doing in the rocks, all bunched up? :think:they wern't spawning, since catfish spawn in the summer.

A
Anyfishisfine
Sewer outlet. The warm raw sewage attracts the fish in this cold weather.

M
Moe
ow man thats gross!! and u stuck your hand in the raw sewage? lol.

T
Troutier Bassier
Anyfishisfine said:

..... hes right.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Anyfishisfine said:
Ewwwwwwww!!!! :shock: :rolleyes: :wall: :wall: Go boil yer hands!!! :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol:

T
tnffishman
:D

I
Ifishforfood
sorry to ruin your little party, but i wasn't near any outlets:naughty:. i was under a bridge, surrounded by gravel:cool:

T
tnffishman
:D

B
beaverfan
Ifishforfood said:
sorry to ruin your little party, but i wasn't near any outlets:naughty:. i was under a bridge, surrounded by gravel:cool:

Sorry to rain on your parade but do even read the fishing regulations? First OFF you can't transport live fish, so taking them home for your tank is illegal. Second Catfish are a gamefish in Oregon and as we all know it is illegal to fish for gamefish with any other method than hook and line. If a game cop had been watching you would be facing HUGE fines. I'd say you need some time reading the regs and make sure you aren't posting about illegal crap because it really makes us all look bad!

T
Troutier Bassier
Wow there.... Calm down buddy...

F
fishtales
beaverfan said:
Sorry to rain on your parade but do even read the fishing regulations? First OFF you can't transport live fish, so taking them home for your tank is illegal. Second Catfish are a gamefish in Oregon and as we all know it is illegal to fish for gamefish with any other method than hook and line. If a game cop had been watching you would be facing HUGE fines. I'd say you need some time reading the regs and make sure you aren't posting about illegal crap because it really makes us all look bad!

Why is he the parade and you the rain? Is'nt this his thread? And Ifishfor food why do you have to drive your parade under his rain.

You know that we are allowed to post what we want. I dont think I fish was intending to brag about illegal activity if it is indeed illegal.

T
Troutier Bassier
Also, What Cop is going to give a 14 year old a "Huge Fine" for catching catfish with his hands?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Please read the regs!!

Please read the regs!!

beaverfan said:

X2!! :clap: :wall: :doh:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Troutier Bassier said:
Also, What Cop is going to give a 14 year old a "Huge Fine" for catching catfish with his hands?

Breaking news!!! Whether you are 14 (which he is NOT) or 104, if you are caught breaking the law there are ramifications! Freedom of speech? Yes! Condone breaking the law? Not no but hell no! We've been through this before, remember?

T
Troutier Bassier
Excuse me, 15.
But I will agree with you. Laws are laws and should be followed. He shouldn't have done that. But I just don't think that the police would give him a fine. They'd probably give him a talk, but not fine.

S
sloughsan
It's not sewage folks- and what about the birds?

It's not sewage folks- and what about the birds?

It's not sewage folks. The first "Big Pipe" constructed in Portland was the Columbia Slough Big Pipe, construction completed in 2000. The sewage and stormwater goes to the sewer treatment plant 99.6% of the time.....

I know this is a fishing forum- but may I also offer the comment that
1. Most hunting is prohibited within City of Portland limits unless you have a license.
2. If you secure a license exceptions are made are for hunting a few non native birds ( starlings, rock doves....) and even some of these birds may have seasonal limitations.

Safety concerns are based on that fact that people are around us everywhere.
Thanks

C
colbypearson
its prbubly safe to say he didn't know, i thought it was pretty cool i liked to grab catfish when i was younger all the time but the no live fish transport law wasn't in effect then anyways...

B
BlackBass
Remember what it was like to be a kid , before you go and judge someone who was out having some fun. Just because what he was doing may or may not be against the law doesn't make it immoral or a sin. He was out enjoying nature shooting a few birds with his pellet gun and playing around in the water with some catfish. Take a chill pill and relax , is what I have have to say :)

T
TTFishon
BlackBass said:
Remember what it was like to be a kid , before you go and judge someone who was out having some fun. Just because what he was doing may or may not be against the law doesn't make it immoral or a sin. He was out enjoying nature shooting a few birds with his pellet gun and playing around in the water with some catfish. Take a chill pill and relax , is what I have have to say :)

As I was reading his post it took me to my teenage years. I knew he was going to get flamed but yeah....I'm with you on this one.

C
colbypearson
TTFishon said:
As I was reading his post it took me to my teenage years. I knew he was going to get flamed but yeah....I'm with you on this one.

agreed, im with you guys as well we have all done similar stuff to this