Columbia River walleye

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
hello all i am new to the forum, i am an oregon resident however i have been living in nebraska the last 2 1/2 years due to being in the navy. i came here with high hopes of good walleye fishing thinking i might be in one of the best places to fish walleye in the country. people from here tell me that the columbia river is the best walleye fishery in the world, so my question is can anyone offer me up some good information about the walleye fishery in the columbia river? like where to catch them and what to use and the best time of year? i will be back to oregon to stay in 17 months and plan to really get into the walleye fishery so any info will help.

thanks
dustin

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive never fished the columbia before (for walleye anyways) but i can assure oregon isn't on of the best walleye states there is, there are plenty of states that have way better walleye fishing, if i remember correctly the columbia is the only waterbody around here that has walleye in it.

M
Manyo12
I dont know about that. If you look at 50 places to fish around Portland, Multnomah Channel, Chinook Landing, Rooster Rock, and Even Lower Willamette have walleye(buddy of mine says he catches them all day by around Clackamette Park...wont say exactly where:)) Also correct me if I'm wrong Bonneville Dam area and beyond is world class( 19lb plus fish). There is a Lower Columbia Walleye fishing club that you can Google also. Hope this helps.

B
B.W.SINNER
well the columbia definitely isn't the the only place to catch them you can catch them out of lookout point res. i even caught one out of dexter lake a couple years ago but you know that lol but when you come home we definitley need to hit up the columbia!!!!

T
TTFishon
B.W.SINNER said:
well the columbia definitely isn't the the only place to catch them you can catch them out of lookout point res. i even caught one out of dexter lake a couple years ago but you know that lol but when you come home we definitley need to hit up the columbia!!!!

This is true. I've yet to catch one but ODFW has.

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
yeah people around here says numbers wise and weight wise the columbia river is the best, and brandon people catch walleye in just about every water body i fish, its just not very many just here and there. so your just speaking what "you think" it seems. but anyways anywhere you go in the midwest people say that the columbia river is where the next world record is going to come from. i just need to know where to go and what to use.

N
natro
Back when i was real young I can remember we used to go out on the Columbia in the Goldendale/the Dalles area in a boat. All we did was drop a worm straight down into the water and just let it sink. Pretty soon you'd have a walleye on.

P
PNW Sam
Here you go buddy. This YouTube channel also has a couple more walleye videos.

Edit: Also check out that guide's website and scroll down on the page that comes up. Some sweet walleye pics!!

Last edited:
P
PNW Sam
Tried to include this one, but the limit is one per post. This one is shorter.

brandon4455
brandon4455
okay i was wrong :lol: But still, i dont think oregon is even close to one of the best states to chase walleye, but i guess the columbia is a good fishery? But just because one waterbody is a good fishery doesn't make the state one of the best to catch them in.

N
natro
Just remember that if you do catch a walleye...don't try to "lip" em like you do with a bass, lol.

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
yeah i got you, i caught a couple here in nebraska and did realize they have sharp teeth

H
handmethewrench
New to forum, actually I read it all the time and get good tips, i just never post. We landed this 11lb walleye on Gilbert river, Sauvie Island. Used some really high tech bait.....night crawler. We canoe into the good spots but there is bank access as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
bass
bass
Wow, that is a nice walleye! Welcome to the forum.

C
cowboysfan
another informative thread. I also have been misinformed I thought columbia was the only place in the state for them. nice fish handmethewrench! are they good eating? I have heard they are.

WaveCrawler
WaveCrawler
I fish the columbia a lot for walleye. The real walleye water starts about hood river and gets better the farther upstream you go, all the way to Mcnary. Numbers are always good, averaging 3-6 fish every 4 hour trip. With trips of 25 and 30 fish possible in the right places and times.
The columbia, over the last 10yrs., has gained a growing reputation for possibly the next world record at somewhere around 25lbs. It will be a prespawn female. Average weight is between 3-6lbs.

• 20210627_063652_HDR.jpg
  • 20210314_132400.jpg
WaveCrawler
WaveCrawler
....and yes, they are delicious! They are the biggest north American perch.

D
DonF
brandon4455 said:
okay i was wrong :lol: But still, i dont think oregon is even close to one of the best states to chase walleye, but i guess the columbia is a good fishery? But just because one waterbody is a good fishery doesn't make the state one of the best to catch them in.
Way I hear it it was not one of the best places but seem's some people believe the next world record will come out of the Columbia. I went for them one time and got one small Walleye. Gonna get back over and try it again one of these days! I've read they are almost as good to eat as Crappie and Catfish! :)

DOKF
DOKF
I personally like walleye much better than crappie and catfish for table fare.

D
DonF
DOKF said:
I personally like walleye much better than crappie and catfish for table fare.
I've heard that from a number of people but only ever ate one and don't remember anything other than all the bones the guide left in when he cleaned them. Hopefully sometime this spring I'm gonna try it again. I'm simply looking at the eating fish which is pretty normal for me. But I like a decent fight to. The one I got was maybe 12" and I had no idea what was on there reeling itnin, thought is was a tin can. I read where walleye's just don't fight much! Oh well, if they eat good I'm good to go.