Columbia River Springers?

T
Thuggin4Life
So where would a person go to launch a boat in the columbia close to portland to troll for springers? Also what size of dropper wieghts are they using in the big river?

S
SantiamDrifter
right now your forced to stay betwwen the mouth of the willy and I5. Thats Davis and frenchmens really. small area to work with considering everyone and thier momma are there right now. Once the the Cow and Lewis start putting in clean water you can try near the mouths of those two rivers. Buy as far as I know Kalama and Cathlamet are still pretty muddy.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
I like to use about 6 or 8 oz on my dropper. I am fishing below the I 5 Bridge troll I5 to train bridge,, then run back up river and do it again....

H
Herefishyfishy
Where would one put in for that run? The only launches I see close to that are Cathedral and 42nd st.

T
Thuggin4Life
That looks like a small section to fish. So is anywhere downriver open below I-5? And is this the section of river we are talking about? still don't know where to launch at.

S
SantiamDrifter
Thuggin4Life said:
That looks like a small section to fish. So is anywhere downriver open below I-5? And is this the section of river we are talking about? still don't know where to launch at.

You can fish from I5 all the way down to the ocean. But since the willys mud, its making the CR below the mouth of the willy hard to fish. And your picture is from the I5 bridge on the right, to the railroad bridge on the left. The mouth of the willy (davis' bar) is further downriver.

T
Thuggin4Life
Ok so right now this is the best stretch of river to fish while the willamette is blown out? Best bet just to troll some herring or what? And is the river affected by tides this far up? If it is would the river be mud even above the mouth of the willamette? Just trying to figure out were to go try for springers this saturday. Someone know the best spot to laucnh at?

B
Bullitt
You can launch at Fred's Marina at the head of the Multnomah Channel, Cathedral Park under the St. Johns Bridge, or Portco on the Washington side. These are the closest. Better get there early as it's a clusterf...or so I have heard. I decided to sit out this year on the CR and fish elsewhere. With all the running back up to the head of the troll it will be pretty rough with wakes. Be careful in a small boat.

Last edited:
S
SantiamDrifter
Yes, its practially the only spot. Although I've heard of a few people around kalama. But I've heard good things coming from davis bar. And yeah herring is the go to thing right now, but dont count out prawns. Right now with the lower visibility I would add UV to your herring brine. And sardine wrapped kwikfish also are working pretty well some days. And I tend to believe its tidally affected. Not so big on the rise and drop, but more the push of fresh fish.

B
Bullitt
Thuggin4Life said:
Ok so right now this is the best stretch of river to fish while the willamette is blown out? Best bet just to troll some herring or what? And is the river affected by tides this far up? If it is would the river be mud even above the mouth of the willamette? Just trying to figure out were to go try for springers this saturday. Someone know the best spot to laucnh at?

Herring, kwikfish, prawn spinner, brads super bait.....and be right on the bottom. yes on the tides. Here are the Kelly Point tides 2010 NOAA Tide Predictions:

T
Thuggin4Life
ok thanks guys can someone draw me a map to where this ramp is on the river? how much does it cost to launch? oh freds marina.

P
plumb2fish
Andy,
I am going to be fishing in the pdx area this weekend. Guided trip on Saturday and then where ever I end up between the Cowlitz and Santiams on Sunday. Give me shout I'll tell ya anything I know

T
Thuggin4Life
Where is the guided trip at I think we might take my boat up there on saturday.

P
plumb2fish
Leavin' Gleason (42nd)@ dark thirty

P
plumb2fish
Most important thing is presentation followed by presentation....slow roll dropper bouncing off bottom. If you don't have electronics find some one getting hit, guide or otherwise, and shadow 'em. 6-24' of water have produced well for me in the past. If you don't have a trolling plate or wind sock bring a few buckets of different sizes with holes punched in the bottoms like a collander and tie them off to the boat to adjust your speed. 3 way swivel 2.5 feet of 25lb test to bead chain swivel 2.5-5.5' to herring rig. 18"to 5' dropper to cannonball 4-8 oz. drop to bottom,, 1 crank on reel start trolling. Adjust to make sure you are keeping lead at the bottom as much as possible. I can't emphasize enough slow roll

B
Bullitt
Thuggin - Just use google to find the ramps. "freds marina" will get you to a map and everything.

OSMB also has a ton of info about ramps.

42nd (gleason) is another ramp. Didn't know it was open since it's been under construction for a while.

Good luck

S
Specialed
guidem said:
I like to use about 6 or 8 oz on my dropper. I am fishing below the I 5 Bridge troll I5 to train bridge,, then run back up river and do it again....

How deep are you trolling?

T
Thuggin4Life
thanks guys I took my plate off for trout trolling but saved since I knew i would need it for salmon. I have the rig all figured out just not the location. was thinking about launching at st.johns and motoring down but I will try to find the closest ramp and get there early saturday morning.

T
Thuggin4Life
Now is there any weird laws since the oregon/washington border is the river? like can i only fish half the river or do I have to buy a washington tag or anything? bear with me I have never fished the columbia.

T
Thuggin4Life
And what size herring do run in the big river? greens or blues?