Columbia River basin endorsement for salmon/steelhead/sturgeon

J
JeannaJigs
Looks like we get to pay more, more, more next year. The endorsement is $9.75. There was concern that you would have to buy it for each additional hatchery tag, but it is only $9.75 annual per the original issued combined angling tag. Looks like it has a 7 year lifespan before it expires/is up for renewal. Oh yay. There's a map of all the affected tributaries, including the Mckenzie, Santiam, Willamette, Clackamas, Sandy, Deschutes, John day and many, many more. Literally effecting 7 zones in the state. Can't say I'm terribly happy about it, and there's been some heated debate about it, but it is what it is.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/columbia_river_basin_endorsement.asp

So looks like now if you own a non motorized drift boat and want to chase salmon/steelhead (why else would you own a drift boat), you can expect to pay:

$33 for annual fishing license
$26.50 for combined angling harvest tag
$16.50 per hatchery harvest tag
$7 for Aquatic invasive species permit
$7 for shellfish license
$9.75 for Columbia river basin endorsement

=
$99.75

if you skip out on the hatch tag and the shellfish it's, $76.25 plus whatever agent issue fees they add on.

Awesome possum.

Scared to death to know how much a non resident would pay, I couldn't bring myself to add that up.

Fishing for sure is not a poor man's sport anymore.

T
troutmasta
JeannaJigs said:
Fishing for sure is not a poor man's sport anymore.

I dont remember when it was. :sad:

If you add it all up its still less than one guided trip- another way to look at it.

Personally I think $25.00 for access to our pristine waterways is a small price to pay-

However, sticker shock always sucks-

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JeannaJigs said:
Scared to death to know how much a non resident would pay, I couldn't bring myself to add that up.

unfortunately, I have that etched in my mind, $153.25. I got to buy 4 non-residents this year (self, Rachelle, son, Bro-in-Law)....

$106.25 for annual fishing license
$26.50 for combined angling harvest tag
$20.50 for shellfish license

but I think ODFW is doing a great job overall and don't mind supporting things here...:thumb:

on the plus side, because I licensed my kayak to let me use an electric motor sometimes for trolling, I don't need an invasive species permit so that saves me enough to get a 6 pack of Dead Guy Ale (if it is on sale. :D )...cheers, roger

Irishrover
Irishrover
The new $9.75 is nothing more than a money grab and pay back for trying to get the gill netters out of the main stream Columbia. This summer when the legislature passed the bill to move the gillnetter out of the main channel and in to the side channels they added the $9.75 to the bill. The bill passed an the Gov signed it into law. This bill is the buy off that the Gov presented in order kill measure 81. The money is, per the legisaltion, is intended to increase hatchery fish for the gillnetters. By the time the bureaucracy gets done with collecting the money and transfering it to were it is intented to go there might be a $1.25 left. During the legislative session there was testimony given to justify the Columbia river surchare. That justifcation was "Washington already has an extra charge to fish the Columbia". Washington has a completly different system. I think this sets a very bad precedence. What's next a special ocean fee, a special fee for the Siuslaw, Umqua, ect. Just in the last few years they added a shell fish license, then the aquatic invasive species permit.

The rivers and waters of this state are already ours we don't need to pay the government extra to use them. For years most of us older types have paid thousands in state income taxes and thousands in property taxes and pleanty in gas taxes. It is not like the state really need to nickle and dime us to death. Is $9.75 going to bust my budget, no. Do I think this a just another money grab yes.

This measure was intended to get the gillnets out of the main Columbia river. They made gillnetting illegal on Tillamook Bay, on the Nestucca River, and out lawed purse seiners on the Columbia all without additional taxes on sports fisherfolks.

Just my opinion, and for the folks at the national security agency who are monitering this web site yes I'll pay the darn fee.;)

Last edited:
E
eugene1
JeannaJigs said:
The endorsement is $9.75.

Yeah, that sucks but just divide it by the number of days you fish. It could be a motivator for more days on the water. Hope it doesn't deter anybody from getting out fishing, but it could lead to some kind of transition away from commercial fishing on the Columbia.

Best,

J
JeannaJigs
It won't deter me at all but like irishrover said they're just constantly nickel and diming us and there will always be more things they will find to charge us for to fish our waterways.

Irishrover
Irishrover
It's truley not about the money. We just built a new High School out here in Sandy. To do that we passed a school bond, that bond will add $500 to my property tax for the next 20 years. BY the time the bond is paid off it will cost me $10,000. I voted for the bond and think the money is well spend. I have no kids that go to the school but I believe the kids of this community should have a good school and I pay that money with a smile on my face. However I'll admit I just go crazy when a state agency adds some little got ya charge. It might be a wee bit different if they hadn't already changed the fishing rules down here for the sportsfisherfolks. They can have their $9.75 if they let us go back to barbed hooks and don't kick us out of the main channel near Youngs Bay. Just for fun I think I'll moniter what the state really does with those funds. That should give me $9.75 worth of entertainement until they raise the fee:)

Last edited: