Columbia largemouths

I
Ifishforfood
has anyone here ever caught any keeper largemouths out of the columbia? i have bass fished the river almost 4 years, and just a few days ago i caught my first largemouth out of the river.. a 4 incher. anyone know why the smallies outnumber the largemouths here?

T
the_intimidator03
I know around boardman/hermiston area there is a lot of rip rap and rockey shores that the smallies prefer, also they prefer a little current rather than largemouth prefering slough's and such. If i still was able to get in touch with a teacher i had back there. I am sure i could get some tips for largemouth for you as he is a PRO B.A.S.S. fisherman

T
todd
the lakes where there is large and smallmouth bass i always catch smallmouth even in areas largemouth should be all i can catch is smallies.weird

B
beaverfan
Yup it's as simple as Smallmouth like current, Largemouth do not. Largemouth will be in the sloughs and ponds connected to the river but aren't too many of them in the river itself.

F
fishcrappie
fish crankbaits and spinner baits around the wing dams and largemouth fishing picks up in late August through October when the water drops and slows down and the smallies go deep. The river will be full of shad fry and largemouth fishing is good in the channel as well.

I
Ifishforfood
aaahhh... i see. thats about what i thought, but wasn't for sure. i didn't think you can really catcg bass in the fall, since the waters so cold. ive tried though, but only caught a little one.

G
godsyougfisherman
my dad and i just went a couple weeks ago to a little inlet near the CR. but no i havent caught any large mouth but i did catch a large small mouth. :lol: 15 in.!

T
Troutier Bassier
go to chinook landing and at the sherrifs dock drop jigs in the shady part of it. Or you can fish spinner baits and catch them.

good luck