Columbia Chinook sea lice

Irishrover
Irishrover
Took a friend out on the Columbia today and he landed a nice bright fish. The thing still had sea lice attached all the way up in the Troutdale area. Lots of boats out there and a little chilly at times, but with the top up and the sun out it made for a nice day.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Nice tail section! Haha! All but four fish I have nailed down in the Willy have had sea bugs. And more than a couple in the Clack have had the last remnants of the little lice. Good deal. Fishin today, before the tide swap sounded pretty good. Was the wind bad today?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
To feast or not to feast..blah..blah..blah

To feast or not to feast..blah..blah..blah

Those with sea lice are still safe to eat,correct? I don't want to re-start the whole "you don't want to know what you're eating" discussion here. Just making sure in case I catch one huge,honking rod-bending bright beauty I can confidently take it home and have a feast. Thanks friends. Be safe.
Barb

Irishrover
Irishrover
Raincatcher those that have sea lice are the best to eat. They pick up the little sucker out in the ocean. After the fish have been in fresh water for a while the lice die and fall off. The lice are just an indication that the fish have not been in the river for an extened period of time.

AA yup the moring bite was the best. The wind wasn't a big deal it came up for a bit but it was a down river wind which doesn't make near the chop that an up river wind does. The real chop was from all the boats zooming back up river. Here is a picture of my friend with with the whole fish. I just thought the most interesting part of this fish tale/tail was the sea lice;)

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah, sea lice are an indicatory clue in determining the "freshness" of fish. Especially in the Lower Columbia. The lice normally die off completely after about 4-6 days... Ah, yes, it looks delicious! The sub 25 pound Chinook are always the best eaters, minus the Jackos of course! Great looking fish man.

J
joemomma
Good for you! Our little hogline got 6 for eight boats, but not us, try a little harder next time:lol:

B
Big Moby
I like to fry up sea lice with a little lemon and butter:D

C
c_13_b
Columbia springers...

Columbia springers...

We caught 2 springers by Jim Crow Island on Saturday. They nailed our k-14 with scent. One was 10# and the other 13#, the 10#er had a lil sea lice.