Collawash River trout fishing

B
beaverfan
Does anyone have any info on Collawash river trout fishing? Searched the archives for it but couldn't find anything. For some reason I always thought it was closed, just found out it isn't. Also is there a Summer Steelhead run there at all?

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Summer Run of 1/2 pounders is practically non-existent. It really isn't worth it to snipe 'em at this point. The Collawash has been getting better returns every year for the last 10, so hopefully it will rebound. And there are some very nice sized resident rainbows, and brook trout though. Look higher up in the system, and wear your polarized glasses while driving to spot school of 'em in the pockets.

B
beaverfan
That's kind of what I figured about the Steelhead, never heard of anyone fishing for them there. As far as the trout in there, I'm starting to get excited. Looks like there is a fairly large portion of water that gets very low pressure. Thanks for the info bro!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I haven't fished the Collawash river in years. In the 1950s and 60s they used to stock it regularly with 6-8" rainbows as they did in Fish creek and the upper Clack. I know that Fish Creek is closed to all fishing, but it looks like the Collawash is open to fish. We used to use a single egg hook and a small split shot and drift those waters. Don't try that now it's artificial flies and lures only. I'd check the regulation real close before you fish up there.:) Good luck

B
beaverfan
I'll pretty much be tossin' small spinners and spoons. I will be going up there probably the weekend after opening day. If anyone wants to join me for an overnight camping trip let me know!

F
FishFinger
I love the callawash drainage. Like Irish, I made many trips there when it was on the stocking route. (late '70s early '80s) I remember having great success casting dry flies to trout raising in both the morning and evening bites. I think you hit a goldmine by choosing to to visit the Callawash.

Make sure to take lots of pictures.

B
beaverfan
Ya it should be a great time. Thats a great idea. I can take the oppurtunity to learn some fly fishing techniques. I plan to find a spot with a bit of a hike in and try to find a spot with some fish that haven't seen a lure in a while.

W
weekend warrior
I go up to the Collawash at least once a summer and camp. If you want to get into some fish try the Bagbie hot springs fork. There is more fish in there and it's a lot less crowded. The fish will all be in 8 to 12 inch range and there is a lot of them in there. My personal best is 14 inches.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The hot springs are loaded with car thieves, and Methamphetamine users. But he is right about it being one of the fishier sections of river. The higher up you get, the smaller the fish get, but they become dumber, and dumber with every river mile you gain. Flies, and terminal are all proven producers.