Coho silver salmon above Willamette Falls

B
bigfootfish
Bigfootfish here. Been awhile. Don't see much mention of the Coho in the Willamette above the falls here, yet. As of Sept. 26th, 10,783 Coho have been counted heading upstream through the improved ladder. It's not known how many Coho may have been using the locks at Willamette Falls to go upstream, also. Clever fish!! These nice fish were planted years ago in the Tualitin and Yamhill rivers. It seems that the Coho have planted themselves in the Molalla river, Rickreal creek, the Luckiamute and the Santiam system. Once in the Santiam they will head up the South Santiam so as to pool near the mouth of Crabtree creek where they will wait until heavy enough rains bring up the creek, so they can head on up. Thomas and Stout creeks also are likely destinations for these fish. In the Santiam we are allowed 3 Coho per day, FIN-CLIPPED OR NOT! Woo Hoo!
Anyway, the lower Yamhill has some Coho in it right now. They will probably make for Willaminia creek off the South Yamhill, once enough rain falls. I just found out where thousands of Coho are hangin' out. I will let you all know how I do.

Good luck!

BFF

Last edited:
M
masmith
thanks for the info, so if i were to pick a spot on the yamhill to hit coho, where do you think i should go? what timeframe do you think they will be in there?

M
masmith
i live next to locks park, you think they would be rolling in there right now??

B
bigfootfish
Reply to masmith

Reply to masmith

On Oct. 3rd, off of the dock at Robert's Landing boatramp at Newberg, supposedly several thousand Coho were milling about there. Teens were catching them off the dock, I hear. I talked with a friend(who is a heck-of-an-angler) who told me this. The Coho were chasing lures(Blue Fox #5chartreuse, but not biting very often). They are probably in the lower Yamhill, waiting for rain. They are also piled up at the mouth of the Molalla River, where it flows into the Willamette close to Canby. The fish can't make it up the Molalla yet as the water in the river/creek is too shallow. As is the same case most everywhere.

R
rainman
I live 10 miles from the take out at Buena Vista. From there it's a short boat ride to the confluence of the Santiam and Willie. There's a great spot to anchor up right there.
Any suggestions on what to use there ??
Thinking I might just wander over to the take out now and see if there's any rigs in the parking lot.

S
solution7
Great News

Great News

That is excellent news since I live in the McMinnville area. I was wishing there were some local areas to fish for salmon, and now it sound like there might just be some. I will be doing some hunting for fish along the Yamhill soon. Thanks for the post!!

M
Mike123
Im really puzzled as to why ODFW is allowing retention on native coho above the falls.. A wild run is returning in good numbers finally.

R
rainman
nobody at the buena vista take out when I got there. Saw 1 fish roll while I was checking out the water. Course it mighta been a pikeminnow.
Retention is irrelevant to me, cuz I'm not a big fan of salmon/steelhead/trout eating. I usually toss them right back in.

A
Airs98
rainman said:
Retention is irrelevant to me, cuz I'm not a big fan of salmon/steelhead/trout eating. I usually toss them right back in.

Wow! How come? Isn't the steelhead the best tasting fish out there? Or, you just don't like the seafood at all???

R
rainman
Airs98 said:
Wow! How come? Isn't the steelhead the best tasting fish out there? Or, you just don't like the seafood at all???

Smoked salmon is fine, but other than that, I'm mainly a fan of freshwater bass and cod,halibut table fare. Just not a big fan of baked, fried or BBQ salmon/steelhead is all. <shrugs>

Going out tomorrow AM out of Buena Vista to try my luck and see if I can find the salmon. I know of a dandy slot to anchor up at, in the Santiam near the Willie.

A
adambomb
Mike123 said:
Im really puzzled as to why ODFW is allowing retention on native coho above the falls.. A wild run is returning in good numbers finally.

From what I have read on the subject, ODFW is convinced that the willamette never supported a native run. They began stocking it in the 50's (i think) and continued up until the early 90's(again not sure on the years). But, the bottom line is that they think that all the coho that run up the willy are descendants on hatchery fish from years ago, therefore a non-native species for that section of river.

M
Mike123
adambomb said:
From what I have read on the subject, ODFW is convinced that the willamette never supported a native run. They began stocking it in the 50's (i think) and continued up until the early 90's(again not sure on the years). But, the bottom line is that they think that all the coho that run up the willy are descendants on hatchery fish from years ago, therefore a non-native species for that section of river.

Oh I see... hmmm... I would just love to see a fall run of salmon on the Santiams. I wish they would have stocked it again a few years ago with fall coho smolt. Would have been interesting to see and I would love to fish my back yard instead of driving all the way to the freakin Sandy! I don't know how they figure if a river will be able to support another run, but there is no native coho so there's no worries of hatchery silvers spawning with nates. More fish = more revenue and happy fisherman. Tired of paying for my harvest card and not being able to harvest anything! Damn netters get all the fish. :protest:

M
masmith
bigfootfish said:
On Oct. 3rd, off of the dock at Robert's Landing boatramp at Newberg, supposedly several thousand Coho were milling about there. Teens were catching them off the dock, I hear. I talked with a friend(who is a heck-of-an-angler) who told me this. The Coho were chasing lures(Blue Fox #5chartreuse, but not biting very often). They are probably in the lower Yamhill, waiting for rain. They are also piled up at the mouth of the Molalla River, where it flows into the Willamette close to Canby. The fish can't make it up the Molalla yet as the water in the river/creek is too shallow. As is the same case most everywhere.

Coho off Roger's Landing dock? Hard to believe, but I'll try to have faith!

M
masmith
I hit the Locks on the Yamhill. I saw nothing rolling, no jumps- nada. I did hear a story that someone did land a coho from the locks a week ago- so I reserve judgement. I will try it again after som rain.

B
bigfootfish
Masmith,
I haven't fished the locks. All the info I have I've heard is from someone who knows someone. Plus the ODFW website's weekly fishing report: Recreation Report: Northwest Zone: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Anyway, I went to Mollala State Park today, just outside Canby, parked and walked 2 miles upstream to the Mollala River's mouth where it meets the Willamette. Quite a hike in, then discovered Iwould have to wade to actually get to the mouth. Had on my hikers, so didn't wade. Walked upstream on the Mollala to the first riffle. Stared down a 20 foot drop to the water almost straight down to see a pile of timber that would make it difficult to reel a lure or other rigging all the way in. Bummer.
The Willamette Falls Fish Counting Station, which posts it results at:
ODFW Willamette Falls Fish Passage Fish Counts
said today that as of Sept. 29, the most recent posting, 12,517 Coho have passed upstream, since late August. How many might have used the locks is unknown. Around 4,000 Coho went through last year, between 9/1/08 and 11/31/08. We are only a third of the way through this 2009 run. Three times the number of Coho have gone up in one third the time. Bodes well for a super Coho run which will increase as the years go by, hopefully.
I'm wanting to find out where those Coho's are now.

BFF

R
rainman
Launched out of Buena Vista and motored up to the Santiam. Beautiful day for fishing, just wish the fish would of been more agreeable. Nada all day. no take downs, drive bys, nothing.
Fished with spinners, bobber and roe and bobber and shrimp.

A
adambomb
Hey bigfootfish, next time you want to check out the mouth of the mighty Mo, you should check out the access from the west side of the river. I think that road is Eilers? anyways, the hike in is only1/4 of a mile or so. Also, if you do, don't be discouraged by the lack of parking, there is a little brown sign that clearly states that it is legit park access.

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:

I think because they dont think anadramous fish could of naturally made it up the falls... they arent "native" to them.

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
I think because they dont think anadramous fish could of naturally made it up the falls... they arent "native" to them.

Native steelhead, and hatchery chinook and steelhead make it over the falls.

W
wormosa
just to let everyone know, i talked a lady today and she came in where i work and she said her husband and her were going fishing at rogets landing in newberg, i probed for the coho issue and she said her and her husband had caught 2 coho's already today, and they were heading back out, i asked her what they used and she said spinners, she said it was where the yamhill river connects with the willamette, i did not see the fish, but my guess is they are in....