Coho opener 6-26-2010

S
southside_10
We headed out of Garabaldi at the crack of 8:00am just after low slack tide to easy bar crossing. Our target for the day was silver salmon and dungeness crab. We headed north to twin rocks and dropped six crab pots baited with the fresh shad I had caught last Thursday at clackemette. Our intel had tipped us that fish were biting at 350ft. due west of twin rocks. We headed west and found a slightly confused ocean for a mile or so, then it calmed down. Started trolling around 280ft. with much life on the water. We found a big baitball being worked over by a bunch of birds and headed over to it. We got hit by a nice 26" silver with the correct number of fins and had one in the box. My pole goes off with a very hot fish. It makes three or four screaming runs then comes to the boat. It has one too many fins and was not netted but released unharmed except for a sore lip.
We worked that area for one more low finned cookie cutter fish, then the baitball went down and the bite died.

The hot rig was a old salty plainer with a snubber to a size 00 dodger and a coyote spoon.

We managed one more keeper Coho and pulled the crab pots for 12 nice dungeness crabs.

Great day to be on the ocean. BBQ silver salmon with fresh crab for dinner tonite !!

Peace, Tom

F
FishAssassin
Sounds Good!! :dance:

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go!

M
Mike123
Cool man! Good report!

J
JeannaJigs
Aw man I want to go ocean fishing so bad!

M
metalfisher76
Those are the days man!! I`m gettin some salt air soooooon! Good report.

B
beaverfan
Oh man I can't wait for Silvers!

B
BigMobyTackle
right on! what size/color spoon?

S
southside_10
BigMobyTackle said:
right on! what size/color spoon?

Two keepers came on a #5 hammered silver coyote and the two I caught came on a #5 green and white with a red and silver fish flash instead of the dodger. One keeper for me and one high fin.
8 pulls with the dodger, and 20ft. back on my rig. I use a Daiwa sealine 27lc line counter reel. The skipper fishs the propwash off the rear port corner. I fish the port side midship.

Peace, Tom

C
Cohosanders
Nice report. I used to do the same thing when visiting from California growing up. Girabaldi W/Grandpa. Looks like I'll have to keep the tradition going. I am pumped for some Ho's.

B
BigMobyTackle
southside_10 said:
Two keepers came on a #5 hammered silver coyote and the two I caught came on a #5 green and white with a red and silver fish flash instead of the dodger. One keeper for me and one high fin.
8 pulls with the dodger, and 20ft. back on my rig. I use a Daiwa sealine 27lc line counter reel. The skipper fishs the propwash off the rear port corner. I fish the port side midship.

Peace, Tom

cool thanks. I have been painting a lot of spoons lately, mostly for Washington fisherman....
been meaning to paint a few for around here.

R
rippin fish lips
nice good news! i got a guided trip coming up july 17th out in winchesterbay!! can't wait!! :)