coho on the coast

M
mainman
I am heading out this weekend to do some coho fishing. I was wondering what you guys find best as far a rigging goes. I was thinking some sort of diver a flasher and either bait or some sort of spinner.

O
osmosis
spinners, herring, or hootchies rigged behind either flashers or dodgers.
for spinners, I do very well with nickel and blue, some days pink just murders them also.
Heck some days they are so thick all you have to do is cast and retreive spinners or your normal rockfish "grubs".

I run 6 rods on my boat for salt coho. 2 downriggers up front, two dipsy divers in the middle ran out to the sides, and two delta divers as the back "center" two.

Last edited:
M
mainman
spinners

spinners

what kind of spinners do you run

Irishrover
Irishrover
Hope the ocean settles down a bit for you. It has not been good lately. Sat looks like 2' wind wave and a five foot swell for a combined 7' sea. Thats OK if you have the right boat and don't mind a bummpy ride.

The fish out of Newport are still not real close in, incase that where you are headed. The last day I was able to get out was Wednesday 6-24 they boats with the best results were fishing 14 miles out at the north end of Stonewall banks.

As far a s gear goes make it as simple as possible. To start out I use a deep six diver...to a flasher.....to a hoochie with a piece of herring on the last hook. When we get into the fish and later in the season I loose the flasher and herring. If you are in the fish you don't need much those crazy silver will be hard to keep off your gear as it is. I do run a small silver blade on my hoochie about thumb nail size. Also I keep my leader much shorter than when fishing for chinook. It's easier to controll the spasdick silver when they get closer to the boat with the shorter leader. Good luck;)

O
osmosis
usually #5 cascade's in nickel, I get them painted 50% blue (divided vertically) and then have a pink dot put in the middle. If you dont have the time to get them custom painted then just use lure tape. brass and red, pink, or green are other good ones.
I use #4 bear valley's on faster drifts, but mst of the time the cascade is all you need.

Make sure you have some hootchies out there, don't just rely on spinners.

above bait or hootchies the smaller the blade the better.

M
mainman
thank you

thank you

well got back from my coho trip and wanted to say thank you to everyone for there help I managed two fish one on a coyote spoon and one on herring. We also dug some clams and pulled up some crabs it was a sea food buffet for me last night and was awsome well thanx again everyone

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sounds like you had a good trip. How were the ocean conditions? I'm headed back down to Newport on Friday for a few days and want to get back after them. I had to leave the coast for a while to take care of a few thing over here in Culver. Had to put the salmon rod away and pick up my five wt fly rod.

Last edited:
M
mainman
rough

rough

the ocean was pretty rought well rough enough to make me spill my breakfast and chum the water a bit ugh